Why are Camaro and Mustang owners driving in this weather?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned a 4WD truck for 40 some years. Life at the farm won't allow any other. Chugged through almost axle deep red mud/snow to feed daily, or to get to town for supplies for all those years when weather was bad. Your 2WD wouldn't make it out of the driveway.
No matter a 2WD or a 4WD, weight in the back will greatly increase traction. The correct tires designed for mud make a difference as well.
I never had a 4WD truck better in the mud/snow than a Toyota Tacoma. That vehicle was a beast, pulling out many larger 4WD vehicles with zero effort.
After retiring from farming, we bought a Tundra as a replacement to the Tacoma that had 356,000 miles to pull an RV. I wasn't impressed with the Tundra's traction control rear end that used braking to transfer control between wheels using a standard rear end. When elk hunting in the mountains we got caught in a blizzard with huge drifts. The traction control seemed to actually slow us down because it was using brakes. We had to dig for hours in sub zero temps that filled in the ruts as fast as we could dig them out, moving forward a few feet at at time.
Replaced the Tundra with a 2020 F-250 and a 3" lift to pull a bigger RV. I'm pretty impressed with this Ford. Locking rear end that I've tested. When you drive a 4X4 at a 45 degree angle over a ditch, you will lose traction in the front axle and rear axle leaving you stranded with wheels spinning.
I tested the Ford this summer getting those results until locking in the rear end and it crawled right out of there. I'm sold.
There is an old saying that a 4WD will get you stuck further in and deeper than a 2WD and that is a true statement.
Your equipment has to be equipped with the tools needed to get it in and out of bad situations that 4WD is designed for. Tires, jacks, Mud anchor, chains, and possibly a winch.
The Asphalt Cowboys that buy a truck, put oversized tires on it and then think they are invincible off road find out quickly that they are not. Their HP/torque is ruined by the oversized tires running an incorrect gear ratio to transfer power when needed to the drive line. They just stall out when stuck.
Get the right tires, gear ratio, and ground clearance, it's hard to stick a 4WD unless your ground clearance makes the tires lose contact with the surface it's running on.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe not "10-wheel-drive" and probably uncomfortable in the cold, but six wheels on an articulated vehicle might just be something good...

...anyone got a Gama-Goat?

Update on something I forgot to mention about the Gama Goat...

...It floats, so it could ford streams created by LOTS of melting snow.

When I spoke of this to one of the guys at work several years ago, he told me that when in Vietnam and a unit was moving to another location, the Gama Goats were in the lead. It seems that they are so slow that all the other vehicles would have run off and left them behind.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
^^^^Hey, Parks....that is really a Fiat.^^^^

And this is a Mustang and a Bronco. :faint:

2020-Ford-Mustang-Mach-e-X_9.jpg

2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-10.jpg

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
This “traction control” **** they are putting on vehicles is worthless ****! I spend lots of time “off-road” and in my experience with the traction control on Chevy and Dodge pickups that piss poor excuse for modern technology will get you in a jam. When I stomp the throttle I want 100% power to the wheels! I wouldn’t mash it to clean the tires and get the rpms up if I didn’t need to. I prefer my rpm and traction control to be managed by my foot. Thankfully they include a button to turn that ridiculous **** off.

Oh and knobs on the dash to engage 4wd, they can keep that **** too! If I suddenly start breakin through a soft spot I wanna be able to jerk that dude in 4wd and get some power thrown to the ground before I’m on the frame.
Our fleet vans are 1 ton fords. Every single one of them got stuck at some point. If the TC is on and the back wheels slip, power goes to almost 0. If they had the TC off, they did better. But, if it was already stuck, turning it off made no difference. The other problem was that it turns its self back on when you turn the key off. They would forget to turn it off and drive away. Bam, stuck in no time.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Traction control saved my butt in my brz on summer tires a few years ago. An ice storm hit when I was getting off work in down town. I made it home safe while watching multiple people spin out and hit walls/dividers on the interstate. New model Camero lost it and tboned a wall on the on ramp west bound to i40 from shields. One of many I watched that day.

some suck, most need a snow mode, I loved mine. Easy to turn off too for drifting fun. I mean for when more control matters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom