Why Bodycams are a Bad Idea

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like most other groups.
Ea6pq2QWsAIb4QW.jpg

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Difference is , pilots have a door shutting out the populace. Police are subjected to crap day in day out. People will avoid them like the plague in stores, no eye contact, no "good day Officer". Just some over indulged puke that thinks the world is their oyster and can act any damn way they please. Or get the side of town where I have had friends tell me do not be there when the sun goes down.

Pilots make great money , police do not make near enough to daily, take the chance, of some POS shooting at them, running them over ETC.....
So while Chris made a funny bit it is comparing 2 things that have zero in common .
Maybe if we as a people would get together and get enough police on deck to get some of the guys/gals some mall cop time , or walking lakes for a spell instead of in the **** everyday we would get less bad results.
What we get is everybody bad mouthing police instead of getting enough money for what is needed in training and mental break time for cooling off periods.
Everybody wants "top notch" but are only willing to pay for "not near enough"!!

Will Rogers precinct had an audit several years ago and found just that one precinct had less than half the officers it needed to handle the work load.......... Over worked under paid, wonder why our law dogs are stretched thin mentally .
I am not a "police do no wrong " type but I see some of the reasons we get some of the stuff that happens .

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Difference is , pilots have a door shutting out the populace. Police are subjected to crap day in day out. People will avoid them like the plague in stores, no eye contact, no "good day Officer". Just some over indulged puke that thinks the world is their oyster and can act any damn way they please. Or get the side of town where I have had friends tell me do not be there when the sun goes down.

Pilots make great money , police do not make near enough to daily, take the chance, of some POS shooting at them, running them over ETC.....
So while Chris made a funny bit it is comparing 2 things that have zero in common .
Maybe if we as a people would get together and get enough police on deck to get some of the guys/gals some mall cop time , or walking lakes for a spell instead of in the **** everyday we would get less bad results.
What we get is everybody bad mouthing police instead of getting enough money for what is needed in training and mental break time for cooling off periods.

Will Rogers precinct had an audit several years ago and found just that one precinct had less than half the officers it needed to handle the work load.......... Over worked under paid, wonder why our law dogs are stretched thin mentally .
I am not a "police do no wrong " type but I see some of the reasons we get some of the stuff that happens .
Sounds a lot like healthcare. GOP says "too expensive" and Dems say "Lets pay for a good system". No different here. I don't care if I pay taxes as long as my taxes give a return on investment. Things like quality streets, law enforcement, disaster plans, infrastructure, rational laws, things like that. I see a lot of people on a specific political side though that says NO MATTER WHAT that taxes are bad. Well, then we get what we get.

As far as avoiding cops --- yeah. I don't make an effort to hang out with them. I've met a lot of ones I think were good guys. I've supported LEO events, but yeah, no, I don't go out of my way to make contact. Too much video of people making that mistake. And right now with the exception of Chauvin (who a lot of folks on this board didn't want convicted) there's a real trend of cops shooting people under questionable circumstances and getting a paid vacation. Or them shooting folks like Daniel Shaver, getting cleared and then filing for permanent disability for PTSD for executing someone. So no, I don't expect anyone to be super friendly until a lot of stuff changes.

As far as being overworked and underpaid? Let's look at the systemic defunding of teachers across the country and how teachers are supposed to overcome. And for the record, I support paying them a heck of a lot more than they get too. Want to correct the balance? "Defund the police". Sure it's the worst slogan and tag line possible, but the concept of taking responsibilities away from the cops and transferring them to people specifically trained to handle it shouldn't be all that crazy. Yeah, yeah, it'll cost them funds to pay for the others, but they need that mental break right? Should be a no brainer.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Except that the good ones seem to shelter the bad ones. Lots of videos in public the last few years showing the bad folks but not a lot of news about the good ones doing much about it from what I've seen.

Nope. "sheltering the bad ones" kind of excludes them being "good ones".

Does a surgeon that covers for his alcoholic, inept partner serve well when said partner botches a surgery?

How many times have we seen videos of bad apples in uniform, find out they get fired or disciplined, yet the folks that helped them cover up misdeeds never get mentioned?

Folks think I hate cops in general, I don't. I do see a huge problem with elevating them to hero status and legally protecting them from the public they are meant to serve. Instead of public accountability too often we get the thin blue line of defense and silence. This, coupled with a mostly conservative cheering section that's willing to excuse nearly anything with "you don't understand what a tough job it is".

As for my earlier comment that was removed, I apologize. I made some assumptions about LEO's preferences, and I was probably 180 degrees off on that.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like healthcare. GOP says "too expensive" and Dems say "Lets pay for a good system". No different here. I don't care if I pay taxes as long as my taxes give a return on investment. Things like quality streets, law enforcement, disaster plans, infrastructure, rational laws, things like that. I see a lot of people on a specific political side though that says NO MATTER WHAT that taxes are bad. Well, then we get what we get.

I dont disagree with you regarding not having a problem with paying taxes if they are invested in communities in a competent manner. I just have little to no faith the federal government is capable of doing that. I'm not sure I have seen a single spending bill from either side that didnt have a massive amount of waste planned into it, not to mention an inability to carry out the good spending in a competent manner. I see them much like large corporations. The bigger they get, the less efficient and effective they become. They lose the ability to maneuver with changing environments and rely on their mass to carry them through hard times. I think the die hard Libertarian movement came about because of the government's poor track record for responsible spending.

Even on the healthcare thing would be a great thing if they could actually implement something successfully and put some thought into ways to not line the pockets of their cronies and financiers. Their stand up of a website to register was abysmal. A lot of us that had really good insurance through our employers had to lose some of our coverage or pay penalties while also paying more for said coverage. My parents tried to sign up for it, but it wasnt much cheaper than COBRA as self employed individuals. Overall, it was a failure and then the politicians start complaining that Americans just don't care about each other. At this point, I have zero faith that a single politician that the federal level cares about their constituents and for that reason, I have no desire to hand them another percent of my income.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nope. "sheltering the bad ones" kind of excludes them being "good ones".
Folks think I hate cops in general, I don't. I do see a huge problem with elevating them to hero status and legally protecting them from the public they are meant to serve. Instead of public accountability too often we get the thin blue line of defense and silence. This, coupled with a mostly conservative cheering section that's willing to excuse nearly anything with "you don't understand what a tough job it is".
I probably could have been more clear if I had added quotes to the phrase: Except that the "good" ones seem to shelter the bad ones. I think it's funny how often the phrase "a few bad apples" gets tossed around without it's second half of "spoils the bunch". Kind of ironic in a way because it kind of admits that there are bad apples and if you know the full phrase it somewhat admits that those few are a spoiling agent for the whole bunch.

The hero worship thing is real. It's the result of years of propaganda that's designed to elevate the LEO's and military to a status above. That makes it easier when the fascists start their takeover because the people on the ground will be the good guys, and the jackboots will do it because they don't want to rock the boat and lose their status. In the corporate world, the best companies and teams I worked for are the ones where the leaders would get just as dirty as the guys on the floor and lead by example, but that is not true in the LEO world. Especially with all the videos having come out in the last few years from questionable shootings (that any of us would be locked up for) down to "minor" things like texting while driving, speeding in the cruiser or whatever. There's more and more records and videos generated for the public to see that there's no elevated standard of morals or ethics --- only an elevated burden of proof when they do something that'd get us locked up.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I probably could have been more clear if I had added quotes to the phrase: Except that the "good" ones seem to shelter the bad ones. I think it's funny how often the phrase "a few bad apples" gets tossed around without it's second half of "spoils the bunch". Kind of ironic in a way because it kind of admits that there are bad apples and if you know the full phrase it somewhat admits that those few are a spoiling agent for the whole bunch.

The hero worship thing is real. It's the result of years of propaganda that's designed to elevate the LEO's and military to a status above. That makes it easier when the fascists start their takeover because the people on the ground will be the good guys, and the jackboots will do it because they don't want to rock the boat and lose their status. In the corporate world, the best companies and teams I worked for are the ones where the leaders would get just as dirty as the guys on the floor and lead by example, but that is not true in the LEO world. Especially with all the videos having come out in the last few years from questionable shootings (that any of us would be locked up for) down to "minor" things like texting while driving, speeding in the cruiser or whatever. There's more and more records and videos generated for the public to see that there's no elevated standard of morals or ethics --- only an elevated burden of proof when they do something that'd get us locked up.

I'll admit that I have a bias in favor of LEOs, generally. When I see a headline, "Cop shoots yet another black man", I'll admit I'm skeptical. I don't read that headline and think automatically that it's yet another example of a bad cop. I want the details. LEOs have an incredibly hard job and I feel like they are now expected to make almost perfect decisions in literally, split seconds. The environment we're in right now will result in a purging of good cops, in my opinion.

I think 'How can we prevent police shootings?" is a good question and useful. To present it as a racism issue is a false narrative and unhelpful. The percentage of Blacks AND Whites shot by police are almost perfectly correlated to the amount of violent crime committed. Has nothing to do with race. Now, why does one group commit more crime than the other is another question entirely. Then we open up the discussion to schools, poverty, family structure and so on. A lot more complex than cops hate black people narrative.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll admit that I have a bias in favor of LEOs, generally. When I see a headline, "Cop shoots yet another black man", I'll admit I'm skeptical. I don't read that headline and think automatically that it's yet another example of a bad cop. I want the details. LEOs have an incredibly hard job and I feel like they are now expected to make almost perfect decisions in literally, split seconds. The environment we're in right now will result in a purging of good cops, in my opinion.

I think 'How can we prevent police shootings?" is a good question and useful. To present it as a racism issue is a false narrative and unhelpful. The percentage of Blacks AND Whites shot by police are almost perfectly correlated to the amount of violent crime committed. Has nothing to do with race. Now, why does one group commit more crime than the other is another question entirely. Then we open up the discussion to schools, poverty, family structure and so on. A lot more complex than cops hate black people narrative.

There's several key points missing in your second paragraph that are pretty pervasive and systemic. In Ferguson, MO for instance, a higher percentage of the black population had a record, tickets, run ins with the law? Why? Were they as a people different? IIRC the review done there indicated that more enforcement was sent there, more tickets issued there, more people were stopped there. So naturally the incidence of people getting charged, ticketed, etc will be higher. If the same level of enforcement was targeted and applied in the white areas with no biases, I bet the outcome would be the same. For instance when I lived in Dallas, I knew people that got pulled over/harassed all the time because of the neighborhood they were in. But I had friends that could literally smoke a joint in front of the cops in the "good part of town" and get waved at. Different areas, different enforcement, different outcomes, and different permanent records.

As far the LEO's having a hard job --- there's lot of hard jobs out there. On the other hand, there's not a lot of hard jobs where people can kill other humans and likely walk and be protected by unions, QI and public perception being on their side. Again, hard job, but a high standard to bear. We could go back to the question "how can we make the job easier?" That could get into the "defund the police" argument. Like, seriously, why not have trained people go respond to mental health calls? I'm personally sick and tired of autistic people getting shot by cops for instance. Why not have social workers go deal with homeless folks? What else --- maybe instead of needing to take someone in RIGHT NOW and "tazing" them to death with a bullet, we look at capturing under better circumstances? Tail them, wait for backup, etc.

Are those perfect answers? No. I'm not an authority on the figure, but just a dude thinking of ways that might be better than what we've got. But until the bootlickers realize that the feet inside those are connected to real humans rather than perfect gods, things won't change. What will change is that eventually the protests against violence (that are met usually with extraordinary violence), will descend into war soon enough if things don't actually start changing.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Sounds like the VOLUNTEERS need to be coddled more, poor things just have it rough. Golly if someone would of told them it was going to be real, dangerous work perhaps they could of went into forum moderation or something more benign.
Men who were drafted and then died for this country should have more done for the families they left behind.
If your volunteering crew can’t handle business it seems clear what they need to do.
Bunch of cowards, every last one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom