Why Can't I shoot...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who told you it took black powder loads?
Most were in 38 S&W which is not 38 special
You can buy Remington ,Winchester ammo at most gunshops
It, like 44-40, 45-70 and other old gun cartridges are down loaded so you don't blow up the old guns.
As long as the cylinder locks up tight and the cylinder and bore line up it should be good to go.
I've got a few old top breaks and I would not be afraid to fire any of them.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can make smokeless loads that do not produce any more pressure than BP. The problem is not with total pressure but the pressure curve. Smokeless spikes to full pressure much faster than BP. It's this sudden spike that can destroy a BP rated handgun. If,!and that's a big if, I was gonna shoot it with smokeless, then Trail Boss would be my powder of choice.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.38s&w is anemic at best, velocity is in the high 6-700fps rounds, it is best I guess to use black powder as designed, but it is a weak round to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a Lee loader (if you don't have a reloading setup) and load some up with black powder. Just don't forget to clean the gun after shooting everytime you shoot it. If the gun is in shootable condition, I'd shoot it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom