Why can't we can't get 93 octane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made the trip to ACL/Austin over the weekend, filled up on 93 gas across the border, and on the way back. I'd forgotten how much a difference it makes. Averaged at least 3 more mpg on the hwy. Someone explain to me again why we have crap gas here in Ok? Oh and the 93 was a few cents cheaper than the 91 here.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dunno but my car requires 91 octane so a 93 option would be a bonus. On the flip side you can't find a non-ethanol station in Texas.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Mustang GT will run on regular 87 pump gas and was marketed as such but plain as day, the owners manual says it will change the timing and perform better on premium and it does for sure. I miss the 80s when you could buy 103 at Git-N-Go

tntrex

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haha. My bro in texas just asked why he cant get no-ethanol gas like we have have here. Sure is much better on the little engines. First world problems i guess.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The simple answer is there is a very small market for it in this area and no mass production vehicle needs it unless specifically tuned for it, with the exception being a few forced induction engines might benefit a little. You will find a little higher octane fuels in lower elevation areas or closer to sea level 93 instead of 91, just like you will find lower octane fuels in higher elevations 85 instead of 87. Its not that these fuels are better or worse in certain areas, they are simply matched to the atmosphere or air density. Lower altitude = more air, higher altitude = less air. More air = higher cylinder pressures, less air = lower cylinder pressures. More octane is needed since the cylinder pressures are higher, just as you would have with a high compression or forced induction engines. Most of the advertised recommendations are not in octane levels they might simply state "premium" fuel recommended. Premium fuel at low elevations might be 93, and high elevations might be 89.

If its such a big deal then why not buy an octane booster additive and use it appropriately. Keep in mind most boosters are rated in points meaning if it raises octane by 5 points that might only mean +.5 ( 91 increased to 91.5 ) By the way the most popular method of increasing octane is adding more alcohol> ethanol (ETBE) or methanol (MTBE), pretty sure ETBE is more popular in modern times, nobody wants more "alcohol" right? Simply put more octane will not give you more power, it will not give you better economy, its specific use is to resist spark knock/pre-ignition. Octane ratings in fuel have no bearing on the energy content of fuel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom