Why can't we can't get 93 octane?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Made the trip to ACL/Austin over the weekend, filled up on 93 gas across the border, and on the way back. I'd forgotten how much a difference it makes. Averaged at least 3 more mpg on the hwy. Someone explain to me again why we have crap gas here in Ok? Oh and the 93 was a few cents cheaper than the 91 here.

Are you running 91 non-ethanol?

A 3MPG jump over 2 octane points is pretty big, it's not unusual for an ethanol to non-ethanol switch, but pretty atypical for just 91-93, especially considering very few cars are designed to run on higher octane.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know my boat engine won't idle with the ethanol fuel. Cylinders keep cutting out and in. When I run the real gas, problem solved. Its a two stroke, so there is probably something to do with that.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you running 91 non-ethanol?

A 3MPG jump over 2 octane points is pretty big, it's not unusual for an ethanol to non-ethanol switch, but pretty atypical for just 91-93, especially considering very few cars are designed to run on higher octane.

Yep, buy it at Sinclair and have for as long as I've owned the car. Occaisionally a 91 tank from QT in a pinch. The car is a Lexus GS460. Averages 26 within .5 MPG on HWY.... got nearly 30 all throughout Texas.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The simple answer is there is a very small market for it in this area and no mass production vehicle needs it unless specifically tuned for it, with the exception being a few forced induction engines might benefit a little. You will find a little higher octane fuels in lower elevation areas or closer to sea level 93 instead of 91, just like you will find lower octane fuels in higher elevations 85 instead of 87. Its not that these fuels are better or worse in certain areas, they are simply matched to the atmosphere or air density. Lower altitude = more air, higher altitude = less air. More air = higher cylinder pressures, less air = lower cylinder pressures. More octane is needed since the cylinder pressures are higher, just as you would have with a high compression or forced induction engines. Most of the advertised recommendations are not in octane levels they might simply state "premium" fuel recommended. Premium fuel at low elevations might be 93, and high elevations might be 89.

If its such a big deal then why not buy an octane booster additive and use it appropriately. Keep in mind most boosters are rated in points meaning if it raises octane by 5 points that might only mean +.5 ( 91 increased to 91.5 ) By the way the most popular method of increasing octane is adding more alcohol> ethanol (ETBE) or methanol (MTBE), pretty sure ETBE is more popular in modern times, nobody wants more "alcohol" right? Simply put more octane will not give you more power, it will not give you better economy, its specific use is to resist spark knock/pre-ignition. Octane ratings in fuel have no bearing on the energy content of fuel.

Small market? What changed from the mid 90s when it was all over Oklahoma? Is this what you have been told by someone in the industry? In terms of elevation, is our elevation that significantly different to warrant the difference? If so then what's the critical point? Just curious.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of turbo vehicles out there that can benefit from 93 with a tune. Now that Ford is doubling down with turbo tech and people starting to mess around with ones that have been around a few years, I could definitely see there being a market for it. Not to mention drag strips like Thunder Valley or high displacement off road toys.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The simple answer is there is a very small market for it in this area and no mass production vehicle needs it unless specifically tuned for it, with the exception being a few forced induction engines might benefit a little. You will find a little higher octane fuels in lower elevation areas or closer to sea level 93 instead of 91, just like you will find lower octane fuels in higher elevations 85 instead of 87. Its not that these fuels are better or worse in certain areas, they are simply matched to the atmosphere or air density. Lower altitude = more air, higher altitude = less air. More air = higher cylinder pressures, less air = lower cylinder pressures. More octane is needed since the cylinder pressures are higher, just as you would have with a high compression or forced induction engines. Most of the advertised recommendations are not in octane levels they might simply state "premium" fuel recommended. Premium fuel at low elevations might be 93, and high elevations might be 89.

If its such a big deal then why not buy an octane booster additive and use it appropriately. Keep in mind most boosters are rated in points meaning if it raises octane by 5 points that might only mean +.5 ( 91 increased to 91.5 ) By the way the most popular method of increasing octane is adding more alcohol> ethanol (ETBE) or methanol (MTBE), pretty sure ETBE is more popular in modern times, nobody wants more "alcohol" right? Simply put more octane will not give you more power, it will not give you better economy, its specific use is to resist spark knock/pre-ignition. Octane ratings in fuel have no bearing on the energy content of fuel.

This...

Higher octane allows you to run higher compression, and/or more timing advance without detonation(knocking). Higher octane fuel actually burns slower, and cooler than lower octane fuel. The fuel itself actually provides no power improvement...

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Performance Parts & Fuel in Broken Arrow used to sell hi-octane gas, some at the pumps and some out of barrels in the back. IIRC, they had 100 to 125 octane, thereabouts. I'd treat my Vette to some 100 octane now and then, though at the time it was some $5 a gallon. Why did they shutter their business, does anyone know?

Latest posts

Top Bottom