Why did these 5 American car brands die?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you about Pontiac and Oldsmobile. Those died when GM filed bankruptcy and needed to cut down on the different factories and tooling. They weren't selling like other brands and GM was dying on the vine, mainly because the government went one way with GWBush and the other with OBlama.
GM said, "We have enough money to retool one time for a green energy product. Which one do you guys like?" and GWBush said, "Hydrogen. It looks to be the way of the future." So GM re-tooled along with the other brands to producing Hydrogen cars. They even had some produced and tested by famous people, including Jay Leno and Sean Hannity.

Then we had another election and Obama came along.

Oblama said, "Electric is better so my friends can get subsidies". Remember Solindra? Hundreds of millions of dollars given from the government one month, and the next they've filed bankruptcy and closed the doors, nowhere to be found. Not suspicious at all. Anyway, the whiplash killed the auto industry with only Ford able to keep itself afloat, though they were forced to take bailout money anyway by the corrupt Obama regime.

You know, if Repubs would work as hard at getting their supporters paid as Dems do, we'd almost have a fair fight on our hands.

Last edited:

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fifty years ago, the three prestige automobiles in the country were the Pierce Arrow, the Peerless, and the Packard. Then, the Hudson, Nash, and DeSoto, along with the quarter of a billion dollar Edsel. Why did those cease to be produced?

AlongCameJones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's funny that the rear-drive Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme/Brougham, especially the stylish 2-door coupe, was the number-one selling American car throughout much of the 1980's. I think the death of the venerable rear-drive GM A bodies would be the death of Oldsmobile eventually. The rear-drive automobile era is much missed by me. Probably the best-looking American car ever. This is what the automobile industry still misses most. In 1985, I turned 21. I test drove this car new in 1985. Couldn't afford it working at a hamburger joint as a peon then. $13,500 sticker even in 1985. By the time I got into some good money it was 1992 and I was in the service. This car model had already been long gone with the rest of the A-bodies. 1988 was the final year of the GM rear-drive A body. GM killed this car about 5 years too soon or I got into enough money 5 years too late. This was one boat sadly missed by me.

1985 Oldsmobile CS Brougham survivor shown below. I love that cream color and black 1/2-vinyl top too.
1639813069153.png

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had one of these. A 1972 Cutlass and it was black but no stripes.

1639830836609.png

I also had a 1981 Cutlass with a transplanted 455 in it. Color was red.
1639830969133.png

My favorite was my 1977 Delta 88 that did not look like a Delta 88 as it was the Indy pace car version.
Lettering was removed on many of those cars by the dealership because old guys bought the Delta 88 and did not want that on the side of the car. Looked as good as this one below.
I hardly ever took pictures of my cars. I just drove them and enjoyed them. Many of them I miss today.
1639831249620.png

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's funny that the rear-drive Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme/Brougham, especially the stylish 2-door coupe, was the number-one selling American car throughout much of the 1980's. I think the death of the venerable rear-drive GM A bodies would be the death of Oldsmobile eventually. The rear-drive automobile era is much missed by me. Probably the best-looking American car ever. This is what the automobile industry still misses most. In 1985, I turned 21. I test drove this car new in 1985. Couldn't afford it working at a hamburger joint as a peon then. $13,500 sticker even in 1985. By the time I got into some good money it was 1992 and I was in the service. This car model had already been long gone with the rest of the A-bodies. 1988 was the final year of the GM rear-drive A body. GM killed this car about 5 years too soon or I got into enough money 5 years too late. This was one boat sadly missed by me.

1985 Oldsmobile CS Brougham survivor shown below. I love that cream color and black 1/2-vinyl top too.
View attachment 240788
What do you mean 5 years to late? You could have purchased a nice used one once you have the money my first car was a 1975 and I started driving in 1988 I wasn’t thinking man it was to late to buy that 1975 back then? And clearly they can still be found today. Outside of the Buick Grand National i personally find these cars to be ugly as hell, second only in that era to the DCP K-cars of the era. the only cars that were uglier were the AMC’s (except the EAGLE ) which was the first of its kind 4x4 wagon …….Subarus can eat Their hearts out!

mavs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Fifty years ago, the three prestige automobiles in the country were the Pierce Arrow, the Peerless, and the Packard. Then, the Hudson, Nash, and DeSoto, along with the quarter of a billion dollar Edsel. Why did those cease to be produced?
I think you missed the mark by a few decades. The last Pierce Arrow was built in 1938. the Peerless in 1931, The others were later but long before 50 years ago. Even the Edsel was stopped in the late 1950's.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oblama said, "Electric is better so my friends can get subsidies". Remember Solindra? Hundreds of millions of dollars given from the government one month, and the next they've filed bankruptcy and closed the doors, nowhere to be found. Not suspicious at all. Anyway, the whiplash killed the auto industry with only Ford able to keep itself afloat, though they were forced to take bailout money anyway by the corrupt Obama regime.

My understanding is that Ford didn't take bailout money. From what I remember, Ford took out loans and paid them back. GM and Chrysler Group (now Fiat) did not repay all of the money from the government.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish my family woulda been rich enough to afford film for the camera cause I would taken pictures of my 1972 Grand Torino Sport. Bought it in 1975. I worked at McDonald‘s, Shakeys Pizza and roofed houses in the summers to be able to afford it. Busy times for a 1976 high school graduate. It was a chick magnet. Too bad I was always working. Pic of what it looked like.
D4F015ED-7CC0-4EE7-ADFE-20A4D365B8A5.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom