Why do ranges not want you loading mags on shelves on back wall?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's not when it's done right, it's when it's done wrong. Just because you do it safely every time, doesn't mean everyone will do it safely every time. How big of a hardship is it to just load at the line? Are you doing mag dumps? No.
It's a good rule that lessen the mistakes that can and will be made.
Almost every accident at a gun range is followed with a "I never do that" or "I must have done it a million times and never had a problem"
Just don't do it.
Exactly!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didnt ever not plan on going back to Banner although I dont care for how the rifle range is set up and I always thought it was unsafe how the line managed its self so I never went back. After the shooting incident there I decided to never go back.
How does the line manage itself? I'm curious, not stirring the pot.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our range in Bartlesville generally manages itself quite well. There is no full-time super or range officer. Everyone for the most part watches out for each other and most of the people I have seen and met all have good range safety and etiquette.

Each shooting station has a switch and a flashing red light above it. If one switch on the line is tripped, all the lights and all the buzzers go off, alerting the entire line to cease firing, put their weapons down and back away from the bench. When all shooters have returned from downrange and flipped their switches back to off, the buzzer ceases sounding (it is intermittent) and the lights go out.

It works pretty well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm guessing some in this thread would freek out going to a USPSA match where people are loading mags behind the line all the time during the day.
We have "safe areas" where you can draw the gun from the holster and dry fire or work on the guns behind the firing line as well.
I guess its the difference between indoor and outdoor shooting? Dunno

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm guessing some in this thread would freek out going to a USPSA match where people are loading mags behind the line all the time during the day.
We have "safe areas" where you can draw the gun from the holster and dry fire or work on the guns behind the firing line as well.
I guess its the difference between indoor and outdoor shooting? Dunno
Maybe not freak out but you say safe areas, so I am guessing they have a safe place to dry fire and there is more space at the loading area so you arent muzzling people.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does the line manage itself? I'm curious, not stirring the pot.
So if one person wants to change or tape a target you basically have to get the lines attention and then people just start yelling or hold up your hands and then every one in that part of the bay stops shooting and you check your targets. The thing is there is no RO to inform new people that there is a cease fire so if they are sitting down weapons or messing with them there could be people down there. Yeah youd think theyd just look but not so much. Also this range has those railroad tie dividers so not every bay ceases fire even though you can see through the dividers at the right angle. I suspect this is how someone got shot at Banner. Some guy was loading mags or messing with their gun and let one loose during a target change out.

EDIT Found the story. Sounds like two men were talking and one had careless muzzle control and finger placement and shot another by accident while showing off a gun. So not what I was thinking it was but still a good RO could of corrected that.

Last edited:

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our range in Bartlesville generally manages itself quite well. There is no full-time super or range officer. Everyone for the most part watches out for each other and most of the people I have seen and met all have good range safety and etiquette.

Each shooting station has a switch and a flashing red light above it. If one switch on the line is tripped, all the lights and all the buzzers go off, alerting the entire line to cease firing, put their weapons down and back away from the bench. When all shooters have returned from downrange and flipped their switches back to off, the buzzer ceases sounding (it is intermittent) and the lights go out.

It works pretty well.
That is something I wish unsupervised ranges would invest in. Don't get me wrong I've been to good ranges with no RO and been fine and impressed with how it worked fine with out them. What you have sounds great!

Last edited:

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is crazy. I have been to an indoor range with a friend that had a Tommy Gun. He had a half dozen mags or so. He stayed at the line with the gun and was providing instruction to people who wanted to shoot it. At least 2 or 3 of us was at the back wall loading magazines the entire time.

Maybe the ranges should require annual safety class and tests before shooters can enter a range. Rules do NOT fix ignorance education helps.

Okie1907

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is crazy. I have been to an indoor range with a friend that had a Tommy Gun. He had a half dozen mags or so. He stayed at the line with the gun and was providing instruction to people who wanted to shoot it. At least 2 or 3 of us was at the back wall loading magazines the entire time.

Maybe the ranges should require annual safety class and tests before shooters can enter a range. Rules do NOT fix ignorance education helps.
Yeah but what do do thee people who ignore the sign on the wall that says dont load here? If they wont follow a sign are they really going to pay attention to the education provided?

Latest posts

Top Bottom