Why is M193 still being manufactured?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The post regarding M855 being banned starting me thinking. If the military switched to M855 and has now switched to M855A1, why is there such a surplus of XM193?

761mph

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
only one of my 5.56 ARs has something other than a 1:12 twist barrel
a good friend couldn't figure out why i never bought any of the m855 when he used to buy in big quantities
he never ask until one day he finally noticed all my rifles had old colt barrels then it was ' DUH i never realized everything you have is old school'

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Civilians and police departments still have a ton of 1 in 12 barrels.

Got it. But why does so much of the XM193 come from the Lake City Ammunition plant which is owned by the government and operated by ATK (Federal)? Is Federal manufacturing M193 for the civilian market and foreign military?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got it. But why does so much of the XM193 come from the Lake City Ammunition plant which is owned by the government and operated by ATK (Federal)? Is Federal manufacturing M193 for the civilian market and foreign military?
That is the way I understand it.
It is a NATO standard round so it is manufactured in lots of places.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
It is my understanding that M193 is a universal round that fires from 1:7 to 1:14 twist barrels. I would assume that is why it's still being manufactured. Gotta make that money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom