Why Murdoch fired Carlson

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't fight a war when you run out of bodies and the Russia has been killing 8 for every one they lose. That's not sustainable.
That runs counter to every report I’ve heard, excluding those that have come straight out of the Kremlin. Most reports say the Ukrainians are killing Russians at about 4:1, but they need to be killing Russians at 8:1 to be able to withstand the sheer numbers the Russians can throw at Ukraine.

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That runs counter to every report I’ve heard, excluding those that have come straight out of the Kremlin. Most reports say the Ukrainians are killing Russians at about 4:1, but they need to be killing Russians at 8:1 to be able to withstand the sheer numbers the Russians can throw at Ukraine.

I am not certain that is correct, based on the reports I have seen leaked out . Carlson at various times called that "fact into question " and Robert Kennedy during his recent interview even stated that the Russians were holding a 7:1 to 8 :1 attrition rate against the Ukraine military, Every report I've seen so far is that Ukraine is running out of bodies. Russia doesn't have to win any battles if they bleed them white , eventually the Ukrainians will be unable to prosecute the war, hence their begging for NATO troops to become involved.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dismissed RFK Jr as a flake years ago. He blamed Prez Bush for hurricane Katrina. I saw him on tv saying if Al Gore won in 2000, Katrina wouldn’t have happened. He’s too nutty for me to take seriously

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it was Megyn Kelly who said that Roger Ailes was the conservative ideologue, and Rupert Murdoch is just a straight up capitalist. My guess is that he looked at what Carlson had already cost the network, what he was likely to cost them in the future, and what he was going to bring them, and decided that the ROI just wasn’t there anymore. It’s not personal, it’s just business.

Not sure this makes sense. IF you fire a guy because he may have costs you money in a lawsuit but said guy had the highest rating in all of TV/Cable news and probably brought in more revenue that anyone person in TV news history but then you fire said guy; you just chit the bed twice. You paid all the lawsuit money AND now you don't have the revenue he brought in. Seems like a really dumb move on Fox's part.

In the end Carlson will probably end up starting a business like Ben Shapiro did with the Daily Wire and make 10 fold what he was making at Fox. Tucker wasn't hurting for money before and surely will not in the future.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dismissed RFK Jr as a flake years ago. He blamed Prez Bush for hurricane Katrina. I saw him on tv saying if Al Gore won in 2000, Katrina wouldn’t have happened. He’s too nutty for me to take seriously
But he has a 19% approval rating among dimocrats today. How does that speak for that party?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not certain that is correct, based on the reports I have seen leaked out . Carlson at various times called that "fact into question " and Robert Kennedy during his recent interview even stated that the Russians were holding a 7:1 to 8 :1 attrition rate against the Ukraine military, Every report I've seen so far is that Ukraine is running out of bodies. Russia doesn't have to win any battles if they bleed them white , eventually the Ukrainians will be unable to prosecute the war, hence their begging for NATO troops to become involved.
Any report that says the Russians are killing more Ukrainians does not pass the sniff test, IMHO, unless they're counting the women and children who've been found in mass graves. If they were really seeing an 8:1 kill ratio in favor of the Russians, this war would've been over long ago.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure this makes sense. IF you fire a guy because he may have costs you money in a lawsuit but said guy had the highest rating in all of TV/Cable news and probably brought in more revenue that anyone person in TV news history but then you fire said guy; you just chit the bed twice. You paid all the lawsuit money AND now you don't have the revenue he brought in. Seems like a really dumb move on Fox's part.

In the end Carlson will probably end up starting a business like Ben Shapiro did with the Daily Wire and make 10 fold what he was making at Fox. Tucker wasn't hurting for money before and surely will not in the future.
If he has already cost them more than $1B, there's no way he could conceivably bring in enough revenue to recover that cost, and don't forget that there's another big related lawsuit getting ready to go to trial. Also recall that Carlson took over Bill O'Reilly's time slot, which was already the #1 prime time cable news show, so it's not a big stretch for Murdoch to expect that the next talking head in that slot would be likely retain the ratings crown.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also recall that Carlson took over Bill O'Reilly's time slot, which was already the #1 prime time cable news show, so it's not a big stretch for Murdoch to expect that the next talking head in that slot would be likely retain the ratings crown.
Don't agree. The person in that time slot doesn't gain approval ratings because of the time they are on the air. They gain it by the content they produce during that time slot, which Tucker did.
Proof in my comment is that the current person in that slot has slipped below CNN ratings.
Newsmax has surged ahead in their ratings.
Americans have a short memory so we will see if the public leaving FOX will return.

Latest posts

Top Bottom