Wife ok'ad the purchase of a 1911!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I finally broke down and got her the $5500 table she was wanting for the dinning room,which we did need a table I just had no idea a piece of wood you eat on could cost so much!:ooh2: She got me when she said I could buy that 1911 I had been wanting. Of course she knows about as much about 1911's as I know about tables.:rubhands:

#1: So this is where I need the help. I own a S&W stainless tactical rail series, Kimber Ultra CDP II, two-toned, and a Kimber Pro Raptor.that has ben hard-chromed. (I mean those are the 1911's I lost on the boating trip) I want something better! To me that starts with a Springfield TRP, Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Nighthawk, Ed Brown, Wilson, ect..

My requirements:
full-size 5" 1911
Blueing only, no stainless or two-tone
Fixed night nites
Honestly I would like to stay around $1500 but I am sure I can be talked close to $2500 with a little prodding or trading.

#2 S&S mod 627 8 shot 357 vcomped

What says the OSA Clan: Help a brother out!!!!

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Les Baer (perhaps the Thunder Ranch Special) sounds like the best option to go with considering your criteria.
Wilson only offers one blued 1911, the Legacy, I believe, and it is nowhere close to $1500.
Likewise, Dan Wesson does not offer a blued 1911 to my knowledge. Nor does the TRP come blued. In fact, I don't recall seeing any Nighthawks or Ed Browns with blueing either.

Les Baer it is. (Unless you want to go with a custom build. olyeller could most certainly set you up with a nice custom piece somewhere within that price range.)

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
(Unless you want to go with a custom build. olyeller could most certainly set you up with a nice custom piece somewhere within that price range.)

I agree, Olyeller or Dr. Barry Greyson (both on this board) could set you up with a really nice pistol that is exactly how you want it. Nothing quite like having exactly what you want!

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd start with a trip to the good Dr. Barry Greyson and see what he'd recommend to start with and then just drop it off with him and let the folks who know how to make 1911's work do their thing.

Until you get to the Ed Brown/NightHawk/Wilson category (possibly Les Baer - but I wouldn't necessarily put Dan Wesson in this class), there is no comparison of any "off-the-shelf" 1911 to one that's been through the hands of a good smith. Just my humble opinion, but my 1911 was in the hands of a lot of folks who owned both a custom and a factory and once they shot mine (that Barry worked over), they were truly impressed with fit/finish, feel, trigger, accuracy, etc...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, no custom build will come close to that range, I say that with respect to our local smiths whom we are lucky to have. They gotta get paid too. Frame, slide, parts, + finish adds up fairly quickly, speaking from experience.

Les Baer and be done with it IMHO.... sometimes though, you can find used Wilsons Budsgunshop or every once and awhile, OPS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom