Wife ok'ad the purchase of a 1911!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a S&W stainless tactical rail series, Kimber Ultra CDP II, two-toned, and a Kimber Pro Raptor.

You already own some of the best $1000-$1500 guns made. As has been posted already if you are ready to go up from there you will need a bunch more money. $3000-$3500 for a new Wilson (as an example).

You MIGHT find a used Wilson for the $2500 range if you are patient.

BC

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leaning right now towards a Les Baer, should have jumped on Surjimmys when he had it for sale! Also considering the TRP. Anyone have a Wilson they wanna sale for 2k? I wish...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm...

Grumble, %^&#$!....and you sold it:bye::confused:

J/k..lol

BJG

It was a fit of stupidity and brand-snobbery (being as it was a lowly Thompson before you got hold of it). Trust me, I'm getting it back soon enough - I sold it to my neighbor just in-case, knowing he'd eventually want to sell it back to me.

FWIW, no custom build will come close to that range, I say that with respect to our local smiths whom we are lucky to have. They gotta get paid too. Frame, slide, parts, + finish adds up fairly quickly, speaking from experience.

Les Baer and be done with it IMHO.... sometimes though, you can find used Wilsons Budsgunshop or every once and awhile, OPS.

$2500 will get you a very nice local custom - perhaps not all the bells and whistles, but a very nice start that would blow away almost any commercial gun (not counting top-tier smith-brands mentioned above).

That being said - Les Baer is probably one of the best values in 1911s as far as bang-for-buck (but if it were me, I'd still have a smith look at it and give his opinion of what could be improved).

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
$2500 will get you a very nice local custom - perhaps not all the bells and whistles, but a very nice start that would blow away almost any commercial gun (not counting top-tier smith-brands mentioned above).

$2500 most likely..... $1500? No.

I have one full house Greyson built gun, and there SHOULD be another one in his hands as we speak. Just saying that if you are starting out with quality, like a frame and slide the equivalent to a Baer, then it will add up quick. It's less likely for the pistolsmith to have to chase problems or fix specs. I learned the hard way but it turned out great.

Les Baer is probably one of the best values in 1911s as far as bang-for-buck (but if it were me, I'd still have a smith look at it and give his opinion of what could be improved).

Especially if someone buys it used with the 1.5inch "guarantee." Most of those need to be "de-Baered" as they say for carry or HD use.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you don't have a 1911, you should get one. Everybody should have one. Lot of good ones out there that you don't need to drop $2500 on to do everything you want it to do ... which is run with decent accuracy. I have heard good things about Springfield Armory.

But if you already have a 1911 ... I would suggest a SIG P220 and use the rest of the money to fill up the fridge with beer.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure you didn't even read my original post. I am looking for semi- custom here and opinions from those that have them. Can't stand Sigs either. But hey welcome to OSA though.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Andy, I have a better idea. Go get whatever custom 1911 you want. If she can spend $5500 for something to eat off of then you should be able to spend $3000 for something that might save your (and her's) life. :)

PS: I still like the Wilson. H&H has a pretty decent selection of them to fondle

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Andy, I have a better idea. Go get whatever custom 1911 you want. If she can spend $5500 for something to eat off of then you should be able to spend $3000 for something that might save your (and her's) life. :)

PS: I still like the Wilson. H&H has a pretty decent selection of them to fondle

That's what I was thinking also! Stil trying to figure out how to pull it off. Lol...,

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I like the Wilson's as well. The wife bought be a Professional model for by birthday last year, but after she shot it the first time, she took it back. She did tell me a month ago to go ahead and order what ever I wanted from Wilson, so I ordered a Tactical Supergrade with a bull barrel. Now I just have to wait for them to build it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom