Wild or Loose Dogs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Madd, I dont know about others experiences with the oc gas on dogs but I carry Punch 2 and have used it several times on dogs with poor results.

I've read some reviews on this "dog mace" stuff and they're horrible. I can't imagine being mauled by some dogs and pulling this stuff out and it does nothing... Or worse, just flies back in my face. Ugh.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Used to read water meters and sometimes a dog would take a "special" interest in me. They let us carry 10% OC and it usually worked pretty decent. There was one time when a Rott was headed my way and I sprayed it. He literally licked his jowls and kept coming. This white boy didn't need a bicycle to get away, I did a Bo Duke hoodslide over my truck and crawled in the window. :)

I've always wanted to do that! Although not under those circumstances! :D

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ya sissy... run from dogs and you are prey. they chase even harder

pack animals understand dominance ... what I do is stop and chase them. you'd be amazed how dogs turn tail and run away when chased.
grab your water bottle, act like you are throwing a deadly projectile. if they get too close, give em a squirt of water.

dogs will act like they are going to die after getting shot with water.
have a bottle of pepper spray for a backup... if things get really bad... your CCW comes out.

but out of the hundreds of time I've stopped and chased dogs...originally chasing me... this has never failed to work.

my ridding buddy however always runs... call him rabbit or prey... when we ride together, dogs always chase him, but seldom me....

Put on a pair of cycling cleats, commence dog chasing and get back to me on the results. ;)

Reaction score
Probably OC first, then a CCW pistol (Judge or whatever) for backup or from the get-go if it looks like they're really hellbent on eating you and/or pit bulls.

Feral dogs are far more dangerous than cougars, bears, & coyotes combined in Okla. Not everyone realizes that. Is it any wonder why so many despise backyard breeders and their non-neutering customers who all combine to cause this large problem we have? :mad: When hunting with a high-powered rifle, I'll shoot any feral dog that does not have a collar, unless I happen to know it's a neighbor's pet (not likely). If it has a collar, I'll drive around door-knocking and asking before doing anything, to give them fair warning to keep the dog on their own land. Nip it in the bud before they can form a large pack. I love dogs to death, but I love my own health and intact limbs slightly more.

We used to use a squirt gun with water and amonia mix in it.

Well, OC is gonna be more humane (no permanent effects). And likely more effective, too.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
all my dog chasing have been done with time cleats on.
been doing it for years. used to ride 6k+ miles per year (not any more)
when one is putting on those kind of miles, it's all but impossible not to get chased by dogs... mostly lying low, waiting in ambush.

dogs are pack animals and will react predictably ... if you act as prey or predator.

Put on a pair of cycling cleats, commence dog chasing and get back to me on the results. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom