Wilson Combat 45 advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll make this short as possible. I've got the itch for a Wilson 1911 45 acp carry weapon. I'm strictly civilian. I'm thinking a 4-4.25" model. Fixed sights. Anyone want to give me some advice based on your ownership experience? They are expensive, but I'm at a point in life where I can get pretty much anything in the $2000 - $3500 range, if I could really fall in love with it. I'm not money bags, but am getting to the point I can enjoy 1 or 2 nicer things.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned 4 Wilsons total and am down to 1. Wilson is a great company, but at their current prices I would't buy a new one and would just get a Les Baer instead. OR if you insist on paying $3K you might see what Barry or Mike would build you (if they have time) and have a real custom fit to your needs.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am considering a Les Baer also. I said Wilson, but am not totally locked up into that. I would want some quality name recognition, but I'm not going to make a decision strictly on snob appeal. No offense to anyone else. I'm too conservative to ignore at least some value for each dollar.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been Blessed in owning just about every hi-end custom 1911 that has been made. I do mean Blessed not bragging. Wilson may have a nicer finish, but I promise you. Les Baer is every bit of a gun or better then a Wilson or EB, and more then $1000 less. A big plus, you call his factory there's a big chance you will be talking to Mr. Baer then not.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wilson Combat 1911's are one of the tiny select few high end "custom" guns whose price will appreciate with time. Les Baers are well regarded by some as are a few others. A custom smith can build a 1911 to your exact spec's but don't expect the majority of these to appreciate in value over time.

I'd leave that high cost 1911 as a range and competition only pistol. A carry gun can get beat up and is much more subject to loss or becoming an exhibit tied up for months/years in a legal matter than is one of the latter. One of the Tupperware pistols (Glock, Springfield, S&W, H&K, Walther, FN, etc.) can do the carry gun job for lots less money plus weigh a good bit less on your belt.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering a Les Baer also. I said Wilson, but am not totally locked up into that. I would want some quality name recognition, but I'm not going to make a decision strictly on snob appeal. No offense to anyone else. I'm too conservative to ignore at least some value for each dollar.

Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Nighthawk are all great in their own right. It's just a matter of what YOU like and feels good in your hand. Baers are everything a Wilson is in terms of shooting, just less fluff. In the same sense, Wilson has a "can do" attitude, whereas Baer is more of a "this is how we build it.... take it or leave it" attitude. You're gonna spend ~$1000 less on most Baers in contrast to a Wilson. Don't overlook Dan Wesson, probably the best bang for the buck out there. JMO.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wilson Combat 1911's are one of the tiny select few high end "custom" guns whose price will appreciate with time. Les Baers are well regarded by some as are a few others. A custom smith can build a 1911 to your exact spec's but don't expect the majority of these to appreciate in value over time.

I'd leave that high cost 1911 as a range and competition only pistol. A carry gun can get beat up and is much more subject to loss or becoming an exhibit tied up for months/years in a legal matter than is one of the latter. One of the Tupperware pistols (Glock, Springfield, S&W, H&K, Walther, FN, etc.) can do the carry gun job for lots less money plus weigh a good bit less on your belt.

Never understood this philosophy. My most expensive 1911 purchase has 5-6K rounds through it and is still carried. Sure it's looking a bit worn, but it's the best shooting tool I have for my self defense. Sure there are other great platforms but if I buy a Ferrari.... I'm driving the hell out of it.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been Blessed in owning just about every hi-end custom 1911 that has been made. I do mean Blessed not bragging. Wilson may have a nicer finish, but I promise you. Les Baer is every bit of a gun or better then a Wilson or EB, and more then $1000 less. A big plus, you call his factory there's a big chance you will be talking to Mr. Baer then not.
I've had the exact same experience, Les Baer is the way to go

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input and know it is often just personal preference. I know my opinion may change, but if I'm going to spend $3000, or so, on a 4" pistol, it's going on my hip. That's one of my reasons for wanting a premium pistol, is to get absolutely reliable function. I'm still open to suggestions. I have talked to Mr. Baer by e-mail today and his answers have been straight and directly to the point. That impresses me already.

I'm 61 yrs. old and have no consideration for ever selling it, unless I just don't like it. My son can worry about that someday. If it gets a little rough looking, it'll just match me better. :)

edit: I know I can get, or already have a Glock, or M&P, or whatever. But, I want it to be a 1911. It's the only auto pistol I've ever shot until just the past few years. It feels most natural to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom