Wilson Combat 45 advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My comment would be to watch out for the weight on your hip. You may end up with an aluminum framed job. If so a ramped barrel is the best consideration. A non-ramped barrel AL frame will get cut up with bullet noses. Steel or SS will take a lickin' and keep on a tickin'.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a 5" CQB. Nothing but feeding/extracting issues. Every Tripp, generic and every mag from WC....... They told me it was my grip or somethign I was doing, was told later on that was during the Nighthawk forming as their CS was junk... I kept trying to get them to look at it but they gave me the finger........... Pretty funny when I ran Les Baers, Springers and the like without issue....

In the end, i'll never own another from em and would go Les Baer or Pistol Dynamics or even DL Sports. On the 'budget' end, the Dan Wessons are very nice too.

Weight is an issue, but many carry that just fine.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had a 5" CQB. Nothing but feeding/extracting issues. Every Tripp, generic and every mag from WC....... They told me it was my grip or somethign I was doing, was told later on that was during the Nighthawk forming as their CS was junk... I kept trying to get them to look at it but they gave me the finger........... Pretty funny when I ran Les Baers, Springers and the like without issue....

In the end, i'll never own another from em and would go Les Baer or Pistol Dynamics or even DL Sports. On the 'budget' end, the Dan Wessons are very nice too.

Weight is an issue, but many carry that just fine.

This is surprising to me. I had an issue with my Wilson 458 SOCOM suppressor. They spent half a day with it in the shop and on the range while I waited and got to handle all of their other toys. I thought their customer service was over the top. I just ordered a Beretta 92G compact carry. I doubt I ever carry it but it's cool. I believe they make quality stuff and j know they stand behind it, at least they did for me.

adluginb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Les Baer thunder ranch and it's the only 1911 I'll never sell. I've had 3 Wilsons and nothing wrong with them but they just didn't appeal to me as much as the thunder ranch. You can find used Baers in the $1500-1800 range all over the place and a lot of them are in new condition.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Les Baer thunder ranch and it's the only 1911 I'll never sell. I've had 3 Wilsons and nothing wrong with them but they just didn't appeal to me as much as the thunder ranch. You can find used Baers in the $1500-1800 range all over the place and a lot of them are in new condition.

My experience is just the opposite. I had a Baer and just couldn't make myself like it, but I really like the Wilsons and Browns I've had (still have 2 Wilsons and a Brown). Different strokes for different folks....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never understood this philosophy. My most expensive 1911 purchase has 5-6K rounds through it and is still carried. Sure it's looking a bit worn, but it's the best shooting tool I have for my self defense. Sure there are other great platforms but if I buy a Ferrari.... I'm driving the hell out of it.

You just read my mind. If your going to spend that much money on a gun, you buy it for two reasons. One, to take to the range or BBQ, and show off, or use it to put your mind at ease that it will never fail you if needed.

Competition shooters almost never use a Wilson or any of the other high end guns as sold.

Depending on the class they are shooting, there are guns a whole lot cheaper that are dependable enough to compete with.
Although some of the open guns will make a Wilson look inexpensive.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My comment would be to watch out for the weight on your hip. You may end up with an aluminum framed job. If so a ramped barrel is the best consideration. A non-ramped barrel AL frame will get cut up with bullet noses. Steel or SS will take a lickin' and keep on a tickin'.

Unless you have a steel insert welded in. :D 5in Steel gun isn't that bad at all with a good belt and holster.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the comments. I'm beginning to narrow it down a bit. I want it to be a steel frame "commander" length (4", or 4.25") with a bushing, not a cone barrel. :-) I still got a ways to go.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

I don't have experience with high end 1911s. Just being honest.

But I have owned both a 4" and a 5" 1911. My opinion is that the weight difference is negligible, and the balance is better with a 5". If you haven't shot and felt both on your hip, I'd do so before plunking down $2-3k on something.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

I don't have experience with high end 1911s. Just being honest.

But I have owned both a 4" and a 5" 1911. My opinion is that the weight difference is negligible, and the balance is better with a 5". If you haven't shot and felt both on your hip, I'd do so before plunking down $2-3k on something.

Yeah, I've carried both, including a Colt Lightweight Commander. It's not so much the weight, it's the shorter slide and barrel, just a little bit easier to conceal. I don't like carrying inside my pants. I know most think the 5" balances and shoots easier, but I've always liked the size of a commander type.

I have owned several 5" Colts, 2 lightweight Commander types and 1 all steel Commander type. I'm wanting this one to be an all steel, 4.25 barrel type.

I appreciate your input. I'm fairly well set on what I want, it's just a matter of who I want to make it and what options I want and am willing to pay for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom