Wilson Combat 45 advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless things have changed, I don't think Wilson makes a true commander (4.25"), but their Professional model is a 4". I have a CQB Compact which has a 4" barrel and an officers grip length, but mine has a cone barrel. I'm not sure they make the Pro with a bushing. Ed Brown, on the other hand, makes a true commander with a bushing, and I really like mine but can't necessarily see any advantage or disadvantage to either.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless things have changed, I don't think Wilson makes a true commander (4.25"), but their Professional model is a 4". I have a CQB Compact which has a 4" barrel and an officers grip length, but mine has a cone barrel. I'm not sure they make the Pro with a bushing. Ed Brown, on the other hand, makes a true commander with a bushing, and I really like mine but can't necessarily see any advantage or disadvantage to either.

They just recently released a "commander" sized 1911.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife has a Wilson Professional that she loves. It has a 4" bull barrel. Hers also has a rail and a Crimson Trace on it.

She originally bought it for my birthday present, but we went and shot it the next day and when we got home she said that it was hers. :)

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would not consider this in the same class as a Baer, Brown or Wilson, but the Colt Wiley Clapp LW Commander is one Hell of a deal and a great CC weapon.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't speak for Wilson but Baer and brown are worth the money. Baer is a better budget option, then spend some money on ammo and mags.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you have a steel insert welded in. :D 5in Steel gun isn't that bad at all with a good belt and holster.
I occasionally carry an all steel 5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 on a good belt. Not that uncomfortable for me either but I like the greater comfort of a Glock 19 in a Milt Sparks SS2.

Yep, hard insert for the frame feed ramp could work too for a lightweight material frame. I am a fan of non-ramp barrels in .45 ACP and ramped in all others. At one time the true commander length (4.25") had the most leather available but not so sure that is still true with all the 4" usually cone barrel 1911's now in the marketplace. Still plenty of holster options for both lengths out there.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a Brown Cobra Carry for sale in the forums... I have/had/have several custom 1911's and the Brown is on par w/all that I've had and shot. My Cobra Carry is a great carry piece whenever I want to carry my 1911. Still heavy compared to Glocks/H&Ks ... but a fine pistol!!

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had them all and IF I was going to go 1911 at that price point, I'd be on an EB Kobra Karry.

If I wanted best 1911 for the money I would be on the S&W Sandium E-series round Butt.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I did it. I bought a new Les Baer Custom Carry in stainless. I'll try to get some pictures up of it before too long, although it looks like any other LBCC. I was all set to buy one of the Concept VII's, but stumbled into a discussed point about the Baer frames on the 4.25 guns and just decided to wait on that one for now. However, I was already bitten by the bug and did just what I said I wasn't going to do and bought a 5" gun. I do that seldom, but did it this time.

It's an absolutely beautiful gun that has not skipped one beat in 200 rds. of 3 different bullets in 4 different types of magazines. No failures of any kind. But, I'd almost be willing to bet it that it's not gonna fail inside a 1000. It just does the exact same thing and feels the exact same way every time! It's not fancy, it's just precision through and through. I've owned Colts, Springfields, and the new Ruger SR 1911 and this Baer is completely on a different level. I'll give an honest report when I hit 500 and 1000, but right now I have to say it seems to be worth every penny!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom