Wilson Combat 45 advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of folks really seem to have an infatuation with Baers, but after owning and shooting a couple, I just don't get it...:scratch:

Yup, I'm a bit infatuated at this point. Maybe something will disappoint me at some point, but I can say this: I've had various other reputable 1911's over the years and this Baer is the first one I've ever had that got to 250+ rounds without a hiccup. Of course that is not a real reliability test yet, but I'm just saying....... I've never had a Wilson, Brown, etc., so maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples yet. We'll see. To my embarrassment, I realize I started this thread talking Wilson. I had not realized there was as much $$ difference between Wilson and Baer. The Baer was worth the try and so far I've only experienced the good I had heard and none of the negative. Those that can pick apart the imperfections of a Baer, I can only say that they must be pretty danged picky. I don't see them. But again, maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you get in the class of Baer's, Brown's, and Wilson's. I would bet if you blindfolded the shooters and had them shoot the gun, 99% could not tell the difference. That is why I will take a Baer over the others everytime. I get the same performance, but for $1500 cheaper. Not to mention the customer service.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When you get in the class of Baer's, Brown's, and Wilson's. I would bet if you blindfolded the shooters and had them shoot the gun, 99% could not tell the difference.

The Baers I've had didn't have what I consider a "mil spec" grip (like Wilson's, Brown's, STI's, S&W's, Para's, etc). It was "squarer" and felt "fatter" than every other 1911 I've ever owned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a 1911 fan and currently in possession of two Wilsons, two STI's, a Brown, and a S&W, and I love them all. The Baers just didn't feel "right", and the finish was crap. Of course, the gen 3 coating Brown uses is crap too.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Baers I've had didn't have what I consider a "mil spec" grip (like Wilson's, Brown's, STI's, S&W's, Para's, etc). It was "squarer" and felt "fatter" than every other 1911 I've ever owned.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a 1911 fan and currently in possession of two Wilsons, two STI's, a Brown, and a S&W, and I love them all. The Baers just didn't feel "right", and the finish was crap. Of course, the gen 3 coating Brown uses is crap too.

Huh? LOL......there is no significant difference in full size frame size between my Baer and my Wilsons. Now Baer TRSs come with slimline grips and throw off someone I guess? As far as finish goes.... do you have pics of your Baer with a worn finish? Mine has at last count north of 5-6K rounds and while there is some wear it's nothing unexpected for a blued gun.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Laugh if you want, but VZ slim grips didn't even fit right. If you like your Baer, good for you, but I would give you 50 cents for another one. To each his own....

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Laugh if you want, but VZ slim grips didn't even fit right. If you like your Baer, good for you, but I would give you 50 cents for another one. To each his own....

Wonder how all these guys.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=bae...-ILLAhXKKiYKHZQcAbEQ_AUICCgC&biw=1280&bih=603

including myself........ have used VZ grips on their Baers with no problem.

Honestly, I have no problem that you have a difference in preference...... but I just want to clear the air of any false information you've relayed. Again, feel free to post pics of any "crap" finish issues or an out of spec grip.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm up to approx. 350 rounds at this point. Sunday I had a few minutes, so I loaded up 10 magazines with 7 rounds each. There were 6 different makes of magazines (2 Wilsons, 2 that came with the Baer, 2 that came with a new Ruger 1911, 2 Kimber Pros, 1 old CM, and 1 that came with an old Springfield I have). The loads were 8 magazines of WWB, and 2 magazines of Remington 230 HPs. All 70 rounds ran without any malfunction. That makes approx. 350 rounds without a malfunction from a brand new, not yet cleaned 1911. It's been liberally lubed at various points. At this point I'm mainly focused on reliability, since I'm not going to impress anyone with groups anyway. I'll focus on that before too long. I will say that when my sight picture is correct and my hold is somewhat right and consistent, it puts them where I planned. Most are about 10 yards distant.

Again, this is no torture, or endurance test, but it's off to a good start. I will probably hit the magic 500 count within the week, then clean it and start trying to put some groups together. This pistol will probably never have thousands and thousands of rounds put through it. I just don't shoot that much, but who knows, retirement is coming within the year, so I may find a new passion.

Latest posts

Top Bottom