Wilson Combat 45 advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, his instructions said to run at least 500 rounds through it before you clean it. It came plenty wet. At first it was so tight I couldn't hardly open the slide! Seriously! But, gradually it has become where I can open it with 2 fingers. Absolutely no play between the slide and frame even when the slide is locked back. The thumb safety rubbed a blister on my thumb putting the safety "on"! After doing probably a thousand repetitions, it has slicked up a little. :) Thanks for your input, surjimmy!

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would get a les baer and use to extra money saved to book a top training training class. You'll have a cool tool, meet new people, learn new things, etc..

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get a les baer and use to extra money saved to book a top training training class. You'll have a cool tool, meet new people, learn new things, etc..

I'd love to take a training class, but it would have to have a couple of conditions: slow and start at the beginning. I've shot 1911's for years, but never had a lick of training with them. However, I've never shot anything I didn't mean to, or at least within a foot. :-) Not my foot! :-)

glowworm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Proud owner of an Ed Brown myself. Gun shoots better than I probably ever will, but it is the customer service that I like as well. Sent the gun to them to have them fit a threaded barrel. Managed to somehow get the suppressor stuck on the gun, likely due to something on the threads of the suppressor piston. Got the can off, but the threads were buggered to the point that chasing them wouldn't be enough to fix it. Called Ed Brown, they said ship it over so they could look at it. Shipped them the parts, and the original answer was that there was nothing they could do. I was disappointed, and told them to ship it all back to me. The next morning, they called back and said they weren't happy that I wasn't happy, and they contacted the manufacturer of the milling machines they use. The milling company was able to create/sell them some tooling that was necessary to fix the threads, and about a week later, I had my barrel back, with the threads as good as new. Total charge...$75. Can't beat that with a stick. Really, once you get into the realm of the Ed's, Baer's, Wilson's, etc, you really can't go wrong. Get the features you want, do it right the first time, and shoot the crap out of it. FWIW, my next 1911 will likely be from Republic Forge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom