Winchester 1400 MK II help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in the process of moving some firearms from my grandfathers house to mine. One I went and got today was a really nice condition Winchester 1400. There are a couple of problems. First I can not get the bolt to move at all. I try to pull it back to look in the chamber to make sure it is clear and it does not want to move. Second it when I try to take the barrel off, I can not get that off either. Now I know some of it could just be I am a shotgun newb. I went to the Winchester site and looked at the directions on how to take it down but now luck. Any help is appreciated.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
the bolt should just slide back unless the ejector is bent or broke and jamming it in place. as for the barrel, once the barrel nut is off, the barrel should come off, just needing to work it a little. the whole forearm should come off with it as well, it may or may not.

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I got the barrel to come off and the action to open, just had to use a bit more force than I thought/wanted too. Now I just need to clean it good and should be ready to go.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
once you get it cleaned and lubed up, always watch the ejector when putting it back together. they are very easy to bend. probably the only thing I hate about them. That and the fact that the barrel likes to crack around the gas ports. On a side note, if you want to slug barrel it, there are 2 options. They have a shorter (22 inch I think) slug barrel. It's a smooth bore with a choke tube. I have the barrel and replaced the choke tube with a 5" long rifled choke tube. It shoots adequately out to around 100 yards. The second option, one I'm planning on trying out, is to get a rifled 1300 barrel and drill the gas ports yourself. It will fit fine, but the action will not cycle without the gas ports. Good luck with your "new" shotgun, I've enjoyed mine. Many rabbits, squirrels, and a few deer have fallen to it.