Winchester 94 .32 Special

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine in Ohio recently inherited this one from his dad. His wife is apparently pretty anti-gun and didn't want it in the house. Anyway, we worked out a swap and it will be shipped to me next week.

This is a pre-64 (1949 to be exact). Pretty sure his dad owned it from new. Just wondering if I could get any opinions about this gun from those of you who have owned or shot one. I'm really excited to get my first large bore lever gun, although I've had a Marlin .22LR for over 20 years. I'm thinking of taking this gun deer or hog hunting this year if it turns out to be a shooter.

The wood could use refinishing. Am I hurting the value of the gun by doing this? I've refinished several stocks with tru-oil and gotten what I consider to be professional results.

Here are a couple of pictures from my buddy. More to come once the gun ends up in my hands.

ai123.photobucket.com_albums_o293_stingrayg4_Guns_rifle_32_left.jpg

ai123.photobucket.com_albums_o293_stingrayg4_Guns_32_3.jpg

-S

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doesn't look so bad because I didn't post the one where you can see how bad it looks. I may change my mind once I've seen the gun in person, but it looks like it needs refinishing to me.

ai123.photobucket.com_albums_o293_stingrayg4_Guns_rifles_1.jpg

-S

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would think if your hurting the value, it would hurt it to a collector, but anyone on here buying it for example, would prob increase the value. Thats how I would look at it.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'ts great the way it is..... Id leave it alone. Is a 32 special even stout enough to take anything bigger then a coyote?

Stingray

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think if your hurting the value, it would hurt it to a collector, but anyone on here buying it for example, would prob increase the value. Thats how I would look at it.

That's the way I feel about it. I'm getting the gun because I think it's neat and I want to take it out in the woods and shoot it, not because I wanted a collector's piece that spends all of it's time in the safe. I just think I'd like it better without the scuffed up stock. However if I ever decide to sell it, I don't want to find out that I ruined the gun's resale value.

-S

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd really look it over before deciding to refinish the wood. If they still built rifles like that it would be a different story in my opinion. You might have someone like Honeybee look it over and give you an opinion from a professionals pespective.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm still shocked at the the fact that the guy's wife is so anti-gun that she didn't want it in the house. Personally, I would divorce her @55. ;-)

.32 Special it not a common round but that makes this gun more interesting. Since this is an original pre-64 Winchester finish, I'd be careful how you approach it. One option is to get a replacement stock from someplace like Boyds and tuck the original away. Good score on this one!

Latest posts

Top Bottom