Wind Damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went over to one of my hunting areas Sunday to get started on some food plots. When I got there the first thing I saw was one of my tower blinds blown down. We had some 70+ mph winds last week, and I guess this is the result of that.

[Broken External Image]

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
Been there. I checked my towers and all were still up. Did you have guide wire outriggers to really tie them down? Years ago I would lose one every season due to wind. Haven't lost one since I started using guide wires. Hope the repairs don't cost too much.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been there. I checked my towers and all were still up. Did you have guide wire outriggers to really tie them down? Years ago I would lose one every season due to wind. Haven't lost one since I started using guide wires. Hope the repairs don't cost too much.

Actually, the metal tower was still standing when I got there. There is a trailer house anchor 5' in the ground to keep it where it belongs. This was my first build, and turned the angle iron the wrong way and water collected around the base, and I think it was getting rotten. My other one has the angle iron turned to shed the water along with some of that sheet metal that is used in the roofing industry to channel the water down the roof. It needed rebuilt anyway. First time out is a prototype. Each one after that gets better.

A.J.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We lost power here in Medford for over an hour because of that storm. BTW, Dennis, I was over at your fair city this past weekend for a family reunion. Had it at Wentz camp. First time I'd been there. Beautiful place, and we got lucky and it was cool most the day Saturday. You ever fish that lake?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We lost power here in Medford for over an hour because of that storm. BTW, Dennis, I was over at your fair city this past weekend for a family reunion. Had it at Wentz camp. First time I'd been there. Beautiful place, and we got lucky and it was cool most the day Saturday. You ever fish that lake?

That wentz camp is a really special place. Its amazing the Lou Wentz just had it built and then gave it to Ponca City, no strings attached.
I have fished lake Ponca a lot in the past. The crappie are mostly small, but there is good Walleye, and Saugeye fishing if you know where to go. Its a quiet secret that the hybrids they stocked in there are getting in the 12-15 lb range. Mostly caught on live shad.

Okieshootist

Marksman
Reaction score
Actually, the metal tower was still standing when I got there. There is a trailer house anchor 5' in the ground to keep it where it belongs. This was my first build, and turned the angle iron the wrong way and water collected around the base, and I think it was getting rotten. My other one has the angle iron turned to shed the water along with some of that sheet metal that is used in the roofing industry to channel the water down the roof. It needed rebuilt anyway. First time out is a prototype. Each one after that gets better.

I agree. I have three towers and have added improvements on each one built. Built my first one in 1989 and put it up on my parents' place up by Bender. Mom was surprised on how many people wanted to know what it was. Same thing with the feeders that I placed at the same time as the first tower. The most asked question was "do you have a heater in it" followed by "can I use it?" Deer hunting has certainly changed in the last 20 years. Okieshootist (David H)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree. I have three towers and have added improvements on each one built. Built my first one in 1989 and put it up on my parents' place up by Bender. Mom was surprised on how many people wanted to know what it was. Same thing with the feeders that I placed at the same time as the first tower. The most asked question was "do you have a heater in it" followed by "can I use it?" Deer hunting has certainly changed in the last 20 years. Okieshootist (David H)

Yes, I have a heater in my new one. Its propane, but I've spent 30 years sitting on branches, and sitting in mud, doing the extreme type of hunting. Still do it sometimes, but as I age.... the tower blind is looking better all the time.

Basically I built the first blind for me. The other has been built on a friends land that is larger. Every fall I get the honor of taking dads and their sons on youth hunts. They get to take their first deer, and I get to be there to witness, and photograph their hunts.
Nobody saw me take mine as I had no forums, or mentors to show the way. Doesn't matter....Its all about the sport of hunting. I'm as passionate about it now as I was 30 yrs ago.:D

Latest posts

Top Bottom