Windham Weaponry AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/pdf/TechSheets/Windham%20Weaponry%20SRC.pdf

I looked at a Windham Weaponry AR-15 at Wal-Mart in Shawnee today for $799.

I don't know a ton about AR's, but it seemed like a pretty good quality gun.

I knew Windham was making AR's again, but I didn't expect to see one at Wally World.

They also had a DPMS .308 in the back, the lady at the counter told me, for $900, and a Sig "Hunter" .223 for $919.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Or, you could support small/local business and hookup with a reputable independent FFL who builds AR-15's.

And pay about 50% more.

This post is about finding a decent gun at a decent price.

I can build a house.

I can build a car.

I can build a boat.

I can build a lot of things, but are you going to pay more for me to build it for you than you can get it from a big name manufacturer, not likely.

The next time you are ready to buy a new car, use a small/local business to build it for you, and wait a couple of years and pay quadruple what you could get it for at the car lot immediatly.

That being said...

If there is someone here who can build that same quality gun or better for the same price or less, can have it ready tomorrow, and have a great warranty, I am willing to listen.

Last edited:
J

Jckellison

I mean no offense, and no judgement. I buy all my 10/22's at walmart.

But if you look at Wal-Marts economic strategy, particularly concerning niche market type of products, cheaper is rarely better. Their model is to edge in on a competitive market by offering a cheaper price on a "like" model of the same things. Meaning they've more than likely approached the firearm companies and struck a deal to price low, but scrimp on quality to maximize the profit margin. Good for business, bad for consumers who don't know what they're buying.

It's the same with all big box stores. Try researching the mower models at Lowes/Home Depot on the manufacturer sites. Can't be found. Or comparing Wal-Mart Levi's to jcpenney Levi's. Cheaper at Wal-Mart, but dont fit/feel the same. Mainly because big box products are purpose built to maximize that profit margin, even if it means sacrificing quality.

I completely understand saving money, I'm building my own AR with the help of my gunsmith. Good for his pocket, good for my pocket. Buying my own parts gives me complete control on buying 100% American made goods. Catching the sales that allow deep discounts on high dollar parts. Allowing me to build an $1800 rifle for just shy of $1000.

You just have to discover where that discount lies at the heart of those big box guns. Why are they cheaper. Wal-Mart claims it's their "power of mass purchasing", but as the most profitable business in the world, I'm guessing they're like NASA in contracting to the lowest bid regardless of quality.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That does sound like a good deal for the .308. I don't know anything about Windham AR's though.

I say buy from whoever gives you the best product for the best price. Reward the supplier that best meets your needs.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
For those who do not know, Windham Weaponry are the same folks that made the Bushmaster before it was bought out, about 5 years ago, by the same company that owns Remington, Marlin, and a few others now.

The owner decided to start building AR's again under the Windham Weaponry name, after the company that bought them moved the manufacturing out to N.Y., and vacated the building and left the employees behind.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$900 sounds good to me. I really want that one that takes G3 mags. I forget who makes it. Ah, here it is! CMMG.

Anyway. Buy it. If you don't like it, sell it. Maybe to me...

Oh Hell, wait. This is about the Windham thing. So it used to be Bushmaster? Sounds okay to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom