Windham Weaponry AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey GTG, from what it looks like the TDP focuses alot on the bolt correct? Not just on the BCG, but a lot of the weaker parts of the mid range ARs revolve around the BCG? That and the barrel? I was just reading your post, and that is the two areas that seem to jump out at me.

"The TDP for a military grade M4 carbine will have all of these things: Shot Peened Bolt; High Pressure Test (HPT) Bolt; Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Bolt; Black Extractor Spring Insert (carbine); M16 Bolt Carrier; Properly Staked Gas Key; Milspec Barrel Steel (4150 or better); High Pressure Test (HPT) Barrel; Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Barrel; Chrome Lined Chamber and Bore; 5.56 Chamber; 1:7 Rifling Twist; M4 Feedramps; "F" Height Front Sight Base; Taper Pins at Front Sight Base (FSB); Parkerize under FSB; Double Heat Shield Handguards; 1.14" Diameter Receiver Extension; Staked Castle Nut; "H" Buffer."

My wife's AR is a RRA, with a Wylde chamber, chrome lined barrel, and I had JoshL redo the BCG. Shoots fine, and she is not going to war with it, but want it solid for her also. It's kind of like making sure she has the most dependable car to drive in case she is out by herself, I want to make this as sturdy as possible in the event she needs it. Any other suggestions on reinforcing or replacing weaker parts on it?

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
also my 2c on walmart, I had always heard they made gun manufacutures use less quality parts in their stocks and that is how they brought the prices down. Prob along with massive buying power. for instance, all the 10/22s i saw were synthetic stocks and not wood. and the barrels and receivers were coated and not blued.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey GTG, from what it looks like the TDP focuses alot on the bolt correct? Not just on the BCG, but a lot of the weaker parts of the mid range ARs revolve around the BCG? That and the barrel? I was just reading your post, and that is the two areas that seem to jump out at me.

"The TDP for a military grade M4 carbine will have all of these things: Shot Peened Bolt; High Pressure Test (HPT) Bolt; Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Bolt; Black Extractor Spring Insert (carbine); M16 Bolt Carrier; Properly Staked Gas Key; Milspec Barrel Steel (4150 or better); High Pressure Test (HPT) Barrel; Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Barrel; Chrome Lined Chamber and Bore; 5.56 Chamber; 1:7 Rifling Twist; M4 Feedramps; "F" Height Front Sight Base; Taper Pins at Front Sight Base (FSB); Parkerize under FSB; Double Heat Shield Handguards; 1.14" Diameter Receiver Extension; Staked Castle Nut; "H" Buffer."

My wife's AR is a RRA, with a Wylde chamber, chrome lined barrel, and I had JoshL redo the BCG. Shoots fine, and she is not going to war with it, but want it solid for her also. It's kind of like making sure she has the most dependable car to drive in case she is out by herself, I want to make this as sturdy as possible in the event she needs it. Any other suggestions on reinforcing or replacing weaker parts on it?

If Josh L massaged her gun, I'll go out on a limb and say it's good to go. He knows his stuff on the AR platform. You're correct on the TDP. The barrel, gas block and BCG take all the pounding. You can have the cheapest lower, upper, buttstock, LPK, etc. and it’s still probably going to work fairly well if you have a good barrel setup and BCG. Past the BCG, check to make sure the castle nut is staked. These have a tendency to come loose if not. After that, just like any good consensual relationship, lube is your friend! :D

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
also my 2c on walmart, I had always heard they made gun manufacutures use less quality parts in their stocks and that is how they brought the prices down. Prob along with massive buying power. for instance, all the 10/22s i saw were synthetic stocks and not wood. and the barrels and receivers were coated and not blued.

I'm not sure that's correct. Wal-Mart will call up and say they want X number of product and they'll pay Y number of dollars for the lot. It's up to the manufacturer whether they want to accept the order or decline. From what I've heard, the only way Wal-Mart will negotiate is down on the price. Now, will some manufacturers cut corners to deliver X product at Y price? Probably. Nothing is a given and it varies from company to company.

This and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks! :)

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I ordered my Mini-14 from walmart, they got a book out from a common distributor from behind the counter. I pointed to the one I wanted and they called them and asked if it was in stock. It was and they ordered it. Not sure how it works today, but that's my experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom