Windham Weaponry AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
seems like you are trolling a bit here. yes it does. You asked the questions and some of us answered. It looks likes you are defending a rifle company who's product you dont even own. Either you are validly asking the questions or you are just trying to start a fight. I am hoping you are just trying to gain focus.
I own my rifle (Spikes) and have used the living crap out of it. replaced a few consumable parts here and there and I shoot around 1k 3k rounds a month. Others people here shoot way more than me and others dont shoot that in 5 years. As far as apples to apples....I sir have an orange, I built mine and I am the warranty. If it fails its my fault and I have to pay and fix it.
as far as manufacturer warranties for the brands listed....

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/page_4.html
https://danieldefense.com/faq
the others have a standing order that they will produce rifles that work period. They stand behind the mechanical product. If you call BCM and report a problem, it will get fixed I can assure you of that. Same with Noveske, Spikes DD Loki etc.

I am not trolling. Look at my original post. Any trolling there?

Some of the replys to my OP may be trolling, but I am asking questions because I don't know the answers.

I am just asking for more information, other than WAl-Mart sucks, or my gun is better than yours, or if you don't build it, it isn't worth having.

I have never owned an AR, and I may never if it comes down to popularity contest.

I will only buy one when I know what I am getting for the money, and if it is a good value.

That is why I am asking for more information.

Thanks

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not trolling. Look at my original post. Any trolling there?

Some of the replys to my OP may be trolling, but I am asking questions because I don't know the answers.

I am just asking for more information, other than WAl-Mart sucks, or my gun is better than yours, or if you don't build it, it isn't worth having.

I have never owned an AR, and I may never if it comes down to popularity contest. I will only buy one when I know what I am getting for the money, and if it is a good value.

That is why I am asking for more information.

I thought that is what you really meant. I didnt mean to offend but it felt like that was where this was going.

If its any testament to quality of these rifles mentioned....You will very very rarely if ever see the wal-mart type brands in a competition shooters, Soldiers, contractor that has to depend on the rifle to bring him or her home. In many circumstances LEO's who are serious about the equipment they carry buy one of the other brands for the same reason. Durability, reliability.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said, I don't know a ton about AR's, so tell me why the Palmetto State rifle is better than the Windham.

I have to say it does look like you're trolling as well. On the off chance you're not, the devil's in the details.

Here's what I posted in another AR thread when someone asked "What exactly about a Bravo Company Machine-sold BCG is better quality than Rock River Arms?" The same applies to Bushmaster/Windham that appplies to RRA and others listed. What applies to BCM in this discussion, mostly applies to Palmetto State. I say mostly because the PSA offerings are at a lower price point than BCM's. For the money, PSA's stuff is good kit.

BCM tries to follow the Technical Data Package (TDP) for the AR platform as a military arm. "Mil-Spec" is a meaningless term in the AR market. It's so overly tortured and misused that it's lost all value. Only Colt and FN actually have the TDP, but it's easy to find out what all goes into it. Very few supposed "good" AR manufacturers do this. Colt, FN, Knight's Armament, Daniel Defense and BCM readily come to mind. Upper tier manufacturers like Noveske, Larue, Knight's Armamment, White Oak Armament, JP Rifles, etc., make rifles that don't necessarly follow the TDP, but they meet or exceed it in every respect. As for the BCM, google the "BCM Filthy 14" for an example of why it's considerd so highly.

Companies like Spikes, DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, Olympic Arms, Del-Ton, Model 1 Sales, CMMG, etc., take shortcuts in various areas that allow them to hold down costs. That's not necessarily always a bad thing, particularly for the AR hobbyist. However, it's not a good idea for a hard use defense or battle implement. There's a reason you don't see these deployed on the battlefield.

You'll find a lot of hate and angst on the subject, particularly among those that get either butthurt that their's isn't considered top tier, or the elitists who say that any non-top tier AR is an abomination. I prefer to recognize the strengths and weaknesses of the various makes and models, understand what each needs to perform a specific set of functions and plan accordingly. I've owned Olympic, Bushmaster, DPMS, etc. stuff before, but I now own Colt, Noveske and BCM. The others did what I needed them to do at the time, but my expectations are more "rigorous" now.

Hope this helps.

Then someone posted about "The Chart" which refers to a continually updated AR "quality" chart, as measured by the M4 TDP. Not all manufacturers are listed because not all of them will disclose how they make their products, what materials they use and how they test them.

Yes, the dreaded chart: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=1019457#post1019457

FYI, if you're going to review the chart, don't make the mistake of just looking at the manufacturer features. Read all the tabs first and understand what you're going to get from it and more importantly, what you're not going to get.

Obligatory chart hate: :D

i151.photobucket.com_albums_s157_Glocktogo_HateChart.jpg

Where to start? :)

The TDP for a military grade M4 carbine will have all of these things: Shot Peened Bolt; High Pressure Test (HPT) Bolt; Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Bolt; Black Extractor Spring Insert (carbine); M16 Bolt Carrier; Properly Staked Gas Key; Milspec Barrel Steel (4150 or better); High Pressure Test (HPT) Barrel; Magnetic Particle Inspection (MPI) Barrel; Chrome Lined Chamber and Bore; 5.56 Chamber; 1:7 Rifling Twist; M4 Feedramps; "F" Height Front Sight Base; Taper Pins at Front Sight Base (FSB); Parkerize under FSB; Double Heat Shield Handguards; 1.14" Diameter Receiver Extension; Staked Castle Nut; "H" Buffer.

The entire TDP can't be followed 100% for a civilian carbine (no select fire capability). The TDP will specify small but important details, such as the grade of hex key bolts used to attach the gas key to the bolt carrier. It will also specify assembly steps and parts interchangeability. Just because something differs from the TDP doesn't mean it's automatically inferior, just different. The trick is to research that difference and determine if it's an improvement to the product, to the manufacturing process, or to the bottom line of a company that takes shortcuts. In some instances, it may be cost effective to buy a cheaper brand and make some inexpensive upgrades. In many cases an inferior brand will cost as much as a quality brand due to marketing hype and uninformed opinions. The trick is to know the difference. :)

When PSA says their bolts are made from 158 Carpenter grade steel and the gas keys are secured with Grade 8 bolts that are properly staked in accordance with mil-standards, that is superior to an unspecified material secured with soft "YFS" fasteners from the Phillipines that are poorly staked, if at all. When Windham states their barrels are 1 in 9 twist, that deviates substantially from the mil-std. That barrel will not stabilize all the most common weights of 5.56 bullets well, particularly the most effective anti-personnel bullets on the market. So what else did they cheap out on? 4140 barrel steel vs. 4150 (that's what Bushmaster used, just 4140)? How thick and uniform is the chrome lining? PSA's chrome lined barrels are the real deal. FN manufactured 4150 barrels with 1 in 7 twist and mil-std chrome lining.

So there is no contest. The PSA is superior, for less money. Is it a BCM or Colt or Daniel Defense? No. But, it's a substantial step up and several hundred dollars less than the top tier offerings.

I hope this answers your questions. If not, you can't be helped and should run, not walk to WallyWorld and get your cherished Windham. Good luck! :thumb:

SoonerStatePawn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Companies like Walmart and Academy can buy enough in bulk to get distributor pricing directly from the manufacturer and cut out the middle man (distributor). That's how they have the ability to sell cheaper and make higher profits.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I understand.

I am not looking for the best quality AR. I don't want to spend that much on rifle I don't need.

I am just an old man looking at finding the best value on a type of gun I don't know a lot about.

My other rifles are lever action, if that tells you anything.

I am just considering an AR for the heck of having something different, not to go to war or to defend myself with.

I do a little target shooting, and think an AR would be fun to have around.

Thanks

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I hope this answers your questions. If not, you can't be helped and should run, not walk to WallyWorld and get your cherished Windham. Good luck! :thumb:

Go find a Hesse and pay more for less.

Nevermind, don't buy from a company that has an excellent customer service and quality record.
For you I would suggest Hesse or Blackthorne. That's the quality and customer service you are looking for.

This, and I am the one suspected of Trolling?

Latest posts

Top Bottom