Windham Weaponry AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mean no offense, and no judgement. I buy all my 10/22's at walmart.

But if you look at Wal-Marts economic strategy, particularly concerning niche market type of products, cheaper is rarely better. Their model is to edge in on a competitive market by offering a cheaper price on a "like" model of the same things. Meaning they've more than likely approached the firearm companies and struck a deal to price low, but scrimp on quality to maximize the profit margin. Good for business, bad for consumers who don't know what they're buying.

It's the same with all big box stores. Try researching the mower models at Lowes/Home Depot on the manufacturer sites. Can't be found. Or comparing Wal-Mart Levi's to jcpenney Levi's. Cheaper at Wal-Mart, but dont fit/feel the same. Mainly because big box products are purpose built to maximize that profit margin, even if it means sacrificing quality.

I completely understand saving money, I'm building my own AR with the help of my gunsmith. Good for his pocket, good for my pocket. Buying my own parts gives me complete control on buying 100% American made goods. Catching the sales that allow deep discounts on high dollar parts. Allowing me to build an $1800 rifle for just shy of $1000.

You just have to discover where that discount lies at the heart of those big box guns. Why are they cheaper. Wal-Mart claims it's their "power of mass purchasing", but as the most profitable business in the world, I'm guessing they're like NASA in contracting to the lowest bid regardless of quality.

I'm off topic here (as I usually am), but I totally agree with your views on Wal-Mart and the rest of those 'Marts. Someday, when we all work for Wal-Mart (or a company they control); someday, when just before introducing the president, the announcer says, "Coming up is the State of the Union address, brought to you by Wal-mart"; someday, maybe, people will see what Wal-Mart has done to this country in general, and to small business in particular.

1S1K

I personally will not buy it for that price. I can get a spikes,cmmg or build a rock river/stag for arround $800. Then if I do decide to sell it there would be more buyers for a popular brand than windham weaponry.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Knowing what I know about AR's and reviewing the linked advertisement and what it discloses, this AR should sell for more like $599-650, not within a dollar of $800. I know you stated that immediate in stock with a warranty was important to you, but this is one of those occasions where "buy once, cry once" really applies. For the price of that Bush...er...Windham with tax, you could order a Palmetto State Armory kit consisting of a 16" with mid-length gas, 1 in 8 stainless steel barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber (the type that 3-gun competitors seem to prefer), all the higher grade internals, front sight included, pay the shipping, pay the transfer fee, pay someone to put it together (I could do it for free in Tulsa in less than an hour), have a much better rifle and still pay less! Just something to consider, but it's your money so do what makes YOU happy! :)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/psa-ar15-lower.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...its/16-223-wylde-ss-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The next time you are ready to buy a new car, use a small/local business to build it for you, and wait a couple of years and pay quadruple what you could get it for at the car lot immediatly.

That being said...

If there is someone here who can build that same quality gun or better for the same price or less, can have it ready tomorrow, and have a great warranty, I am willing to listen.

Being in "building cars" business - I'll have to disagree. There are plenty small businesses that build custom cars that are better than "big name" cars for much cheaper. Now, most people don't know or care to know what makes a better car... they just drive from point A to point B.

Same thing with guns - if you just want it to go "boom" when you squeeze the trigger for the absolute minimum money - Walmart offerings is the right way to go.

Can a local smith/builder build a cheaper gun - probably not, as a matter of fact - nobody should!

Can they build a better gun - YES

Can Walmart match same quality gun for the same price - NO

Can they build it "today" - YES

Once you left Wallmart doors - the warranty is between you and manufacturer; a local business WILL take care of any problems.

Read the Windham "Lifetime Warranty" : http://www.windhamweaponry.com/shopcontent.asp?type=Warranty

Now watch this:

Last edited by a moderator:

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so.......(from the warranty explanation by WWI)

The following are specifically excluded from coverage under this warranty and will cause said warranty to become null and void:

Damage or malfunction resulting from accident, negligence, misuse or unauthorized repair or alteration; barrel obstruction; use of ammunition other than NATO and/or SAAMI specification new production ammunition; use of any hand loaded, reloaded, imported or factory re-manufactured ammunition; failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance as described in the Operators Manual accompanying the firearm; rust or corrosion; use of replacement parts other than parts authorized by WWI for use in WWI firearms; any unauthorized repair or any alteration, including of a cosmetic nature, performed on the firearm by an individual, organization, company or entity other than WWI; unreasonable or excessive use of the firearm.

so what you are saying here is I have to use your parts or approved parts, I cant add any new or aftermarket furniture or actually shoot the living crap out of my rifle.
Well I see what you did there.....pretty weak.
I will stick with Spikes, DD, Noveske, BCM, Loki....etc....rifles that are meant to be shot. Built by companies that understand that rifles are meant to be used and that all shooters are not made from cookie cutter molds. Companies that have some damned common sense.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Wal-mart has nothing to do with the quality of the guns.

They don't manufacture them.

They buy them from a distributor like every other gunshop/dealer.

The guns are the same as all the others manufactured by the gun companys.

Wal-mart just usually has lower pricing.

I recieved an e-mail from Windham Weaponry stating their guns at Wal-Mart, or anywhere else, are all the same.

Wal-Mart does not always carry high quality guns, but that is not because the guns they carry are lower quality than the same model manufactured by the same company. It is because a lot of big name gun companies make lower quality guns than in the past.

For the purpose of this discussion any other big name store could be substituted for Wal-mart.

I am not a huge fan of W-M, I am just like everybody else looking for the best price for any gun I am interested in.

so.......(from the warranty explanation by WWI)

The following are specifically excluded from coverage under this warranty and will cause said warranty to become null and void:

Damage or malfunction resulting from accident, negligence, misuse or unauthorized repair or alteration; barrel obstruction; use of ammunition other than NATO and/or SAAMI specification new production ammunition; use of any hand loaded, reloaded, imported or factory re-manufactured ammunition; failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance as described in the Operators Manual accompanying the firearm; rust or corrosion; use of replacement parts other than parts authorized by WWI for use in WWI firearms; any unauthorized repair or any alteration, including of a cosmetic nature, performed on the firearm by an individual, organization, company or entity other than WWI; unreasonable or excessive use of the firearm.

so what you are saying here is I have to use your parts or approved parts, I cant add any new or aftermarket furniture or actually shoot the living crap out of my rifle.
Well I see what you did there.....pretty weak.
I will stick with Spikes, DD, Noveske, BCM, Loki....etc....rifles that are meant to be shot. Built by companies that understand that rifles are meant to be used and that all shooters are not made from cookie cutter molds. Companies that have some damned common sense.

Do the companies you mention have a warranty?

What does the fine print say on theirs?

Let's compare apples to apples.

Thanks for any information.

I personally will not buy it for that price. I can get a spikes,cmmg or build a rock river/stag for arround $800. Then if I do decide to sell it there would be more buyers for a popular brand than windham weaponry.

Does more popular mean better quality?

Please explain why the guns you mention are better?

Knowing what I know about AR's and reviewing the linked advertisement and what it discloses, this AR should sell for more like $599-650, not within a dollar of $800. I know you stated that immediate in stock with a warranty was important to you, but this is one of those occasions where "buy once, cry once" really applies. For the price of that Bush...er...Windham with tax, you could order a Palmetto State Armory kit consisting of a 16" with mid-length gas, 1 in 8 stainless steel barrel with a .223 Wylde chamber (the type that 3-gun competitors seem to prefer), all the higher grade internals, front sight included, pay the shipping, pay the transfer fee, pay someone to put it together (I could do it for free in Tulsa in less than an hour), have a much better rifle and still pay less! Just something to consider, but it's your money so do what makes YOU happy! :)

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/psa-ar15-lower.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...its/16-223-wylde-ss-mid-length-rifle-kit.html

Like I said, I don't know a ton about AR's, so tell me why the Palmetto State rifle is better than the Windham.

A wise man once said "You can't judge quality by price, nor can you put a price on quality."

I agree, but myself, like most others, cannot always afford the best quality.

Thansk for your input.

Palmetto State Armory or BCM.

Can you tell me why these are better guns for the same or lower price?

Last edited by a moderator:

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seems like you are trolling a bit here. yes it does. You asked the questions and some of us answered. It looks likes you are defending a rifle company who's product you dont even own. Either you are validly asking the questions or you are just trying to start a fight. I am hoping you are just trying to gain focus.
I own my rifle (Spikes) and have used the living crap out of it. replaced a few consumable parts here and there and I shoot around 1k 3k rounds a month. Others people here shoot way more than me and others dont shoot that in 5 years. As far as apples to apples....I sir have an orange, I built mine and I am the warranty. If it fails its my fault and I have to pay and fix it.
as far as manufacturer warranties for the brands listed....

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/page_4.html
https://danieldefense.com/faq
the others have a standing order that they will produce rifles that work period. They stand behind the mechanical product. If you call BCM and report a problem, it will get fixed I can assure you of that. Same with Noveske, Spikes DD Loki etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom