Wolves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out hunting yesterday morning with one of my daughters. We saw 7 deer throughout the morning but none within range for bow. As I sat there in my spot I heared some noises behind me but as I looked around I couldn't see anything.It had been awhile since seeing any deer so I decided to call it a day and walked over to my daughter. She pointed out 3 canines to me on the hillside. She said they walked within 60 feet of her and didn't see her. She didn't shoot them because she thought they were Wolves. They were about 60 lbs. walked like a german sheperd ( with its hind end lower than its front) and Mostly brown. We stood there talking and they had no fear of us. They looked a few times and kept on the trail of the deer we saw earlier. We were within 100 yrds of them when I saw them. After we got home I looked up wolves and they looked very much like the RED Wolf (canis rufus). Not saying that is what they were cause I'm no expert. Just saying what they looked like. They had no fear of us which Coyotes around here do. Then in the after noon about 4:00 Wife and I decides to go to town and we saw them again. The other thing I noticed about them was their neck seemed longer than usual and they still walked like a German Sheperd on level ground. I live in Nowata county about 8 miles from Kansas. Any Ideas

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if they could of been wolf hybrids that have gotten loose from a home or someone dropped off to get rid of. I wonder what would happen if a wolf population takes off, how it might affect the wildlife/ecosystem in oklahoma. I'm from mcalester and around here, you see all kinds of wierd stuff.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Supposedly all the wolves in Oklahoma were killed out in the 30s but I would not be to surprised if they started making a comeback. They are elsewhere so why not here?

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another thing that I didn't mention was just before we saw them there was what sounded like a dog barking to the north of us. I thought that it was funny because to the North there isn't any houses for about 4 to 5 miles. As the barking was going on it turned into a howl like a wolf does. Not the usual yip of a coyote. Also about 2 months ago we had two horses that had puncher wounds in there hind quarters and I watched the pastures for a few nights to see if maybe someone dumped a dog which happens frequently. Nothing showed up. Our horses have thier rabies shots so I just doctored them and thought no more about it. We have been seeing alot of larger than coyote tracks at our back pond but didn't think much of it until now. Are they protected here or are they fair game next time I see them. Talked to my neighbor to my West and he said he thought he has seen them a few times this past summer so that means they are hanging around in this area whatever they are.

Cannon

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think full blood wolves will bark and 60 lbs seems small. At the same time though I have a 60 lb. husky that looks exactly like a wolf. A hybrid which was once a pet sounds like a good chance. You can google wolf/shepard mix and they are pretty widely available. You might contact your local game warden just in case but if they are attacking your livestock it should be open season.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Supposedly, wolves and coyotes are crossbreeding in the northern states and parts of southern Canada. Animal planet did this whole thing about it a year ago. Has something to do with taking wolves off of the endangered list. I guess it's possible they could have made it down this far...

BigTexOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On my family's land in TX(Kaufman County, about 60 miles Southeast of Dallas) we have red wolves. My uncle had seen them for years. Two years ago he was drinking coffee in the kitchen and saw three of them in an adjacent field. Called the game warden who came out and saw them as well and confirmed that they were indeed red wolves. We had been telling my uncle for years he obviously didn't know the difference between coyotes and wolves...we were wrong.

In Texas they attempted to reintroduce the wolves to the wildlife population but thought they were unsucsessful. Apparently there was some success.

If they can survive 200 miles south of here and 200 miles directly west of here in New Mexico then they can survive in Oklahoma as well.

What part of the state are you in?

Latest posts

Top Bottom