Wolves?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's been confirmed wolf sightings in Harmon county. Theory is they travel the red river corridor. Gramps hit one in his truck back in the 60's. Shot three in the 80's under predation regs, and been seeing them since the turn of the century.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so they're brown, 60 pounds, move like German shepherds, and barked? And with those facts, your first instinct is that they're wolves?

Right.
My first instinct wasn't wolves. I asked for opionions. I know they aren't coyotes so as my thread started Wolves with a question mark. As I said also I'm no expert. With that said being you didn't see them with your own eyes I must be seeing things. I have no pictures since I'm not in the habit of taking a camera or my phone with me when I hunt. No pictures must be dogs.

Muskrat

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just so everybody knows how big a wolf is.

I can't say that there aren't hybrid wolves that have been released, as has been stated before.

http://www.google.com/search?q=how+...vLeKC2wXM7IC4Cg&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=791

I based their weight on the fact that I have a 40lbs dog and a 90lbs and they were in between their sizes. They were not any where the size of your link. Could have been some cross breed but since I have no pictures then to give everyone an idea as to what they looked like was a red wolf in markings. The picture that I found of them says they are from 40 to 80 lbs.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Went out hunting yesterday morning with one of my daughters. We saw 7 deer throughout the morning but none within range for bow. As I sat there in my spot I heared some noises behind me but as I looked around I couldn't see anything.It had been awhile since seeing any deer so I decided to call it a day and walked over to my daughter. She pointed out 3 canines to me on the hillside. She said they walked within 60 feet of her and didn't see her. She didn't shoot them because she thought they were Wolves. They were about 60 lbs. walked like a german sheperd ( with its hind end lower than its front) and Mostly brown. We stood there talking and they had no fear of us. They looked a few times and kept on the trail of the deer we saw earlier. We were within 100 yrds of them when I saw them. After we got home I looked up wolves and they looked very much like the RED Wolf (canis rufus). Not saying that is what they were cause I'm no expert. Just saying what they looked like. They had no fear of us which Coyotes around here do. Then in the after noon about 4:00 Wife and I decides to go to town and we saw them again. The other thing I noticed about them was their neck seemed longer than usual and they still walked like a German Sheperd on level ground. I live in Nowata county about 8 miles from Kansas. Any Ideas

my hunting spot is near there outside of Pawhuska near monument hill. 100 acres surrounded by miles of heavy forest. unmolested pristine oak forest from cross timber days.

a few years back, I saw a pack of wolfs hunting in the moonlight. very organized pack with an alfa leading out the pack with different wolfs doing lookout duties. was wearing full a full carbon suit, they never knew I was there. definitely one of the highlights of all my time in the woods!

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first instinct wasn't wolves. I asked for opionions. I know they aren't coyotes so as my thread started Wolves with a question mark. As I said also I'm no expert. With that said being you didn't see them with your own eyes I must be seeing things. I have no pictures since I'm not in the habit of taking a camera or my phone with me when I hunt. No pictures must be dogs.

Well in my opinion, you didn't see wolves. Wolves don't move like German shepherds with that weird squatty thing they do.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Wolves in NM and AZ are the Mexican specie.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-mexican-gray-wolf-20120716,0,4189711.story

Red wolves have never been recently documented in OK. Every animal has a tracking device like the Grey wolf. and yes I know the Canadian specie is going to be larger.

I'm posting this not to critize, but to inform.

Red Wolf
(Canis rufus)

Red Wolves are only one of two species of wolves in the world. The other species is the larger Gray Wolf. In 1973 they were declared an endangered species and in 1980 the USFWS officially declared the Red Wolf extinct in the wild. However the USFWS captured 17 red wolves prior to 1980 and has used an extensive breading program in over 38 zoos and nature centers around the US to bring their numbers back to around 265 individuals as of August 2005. In 1987 the Red Wolf was reintroduced first into the wilds of North Carolina and it is estimated that there are over 100 Red Wolves in the wild now. Another 165 or so are still in the captive breeding programs. Read the USFWS pamphlet to your right for more detailed information about this reintroduction.

Red Wolf Facts:

•An adult red wolf weighs between 50-80 pounds and is about 4 feet long from the tip of its tail to its nose.
•Red Wolves eat rabbits, deer, raccoons and rodents.
•Red Wolves live in packs of 5 to 8 individuals. The packs consist of an adult breeding pair and their young of different ages.
•They are called red wolves because of the reddish color of fur mostly behind their ears and along their legs and neck.
•Best place to see or hear the Red Wolf in the wilds is the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge on the Coast of North Carolina.

In the early part of the 20th century extensive predator control program basically wiped out the entire red wolf population. Only two populations of red wolf were believe to exist by the late 1930s. One in the Ozarks/Quachita Mountain region of Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma and one in southeastern Texas and southern Louisiana. Today with over 265 animals in captivity and in the wild red wolves are starting to make a slow comeback.

Latest posts

Top Bottom