Woods Gun to carry while hiking hunting or fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my home defense and EDC finally figured out. Now I am thinking about one to carry when I am out hiking, fishing, hunting, etc.

uses:

Snakes (only if I can not avoid them or get them to move on)
Hunting (backup for rifle) Pigs might be a concern they should run away but...and there growing in population
Fishing (again snakes)
defense against two legged critters (meth heads, etc out in the wild that might decide I am a easy target, of course avoidance and running are first options, but I do not run fast anymore)

Considering:

10mm (not sure if snake shot in first round would cycle the action)
44 (would get 44 mag and probably use specials for fishing and hiking)
45LC

Plus on revolver side is rifle in the same caliber.

Plus on the 10mm rounds assuming a glock Would be nice to find a 10mm rifle.

While I am sure a 357 rifle would work for deer I lean towards 44 mag or 45 LC.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a Ruger GP100, it's stainless and there are several .38/.357 ammo types to handle most "situations". I usually have the first two chambers loaded with shot shells for snakes, in case of the need for self defense the first 2 can be quickly shot to get to the 4 .357 gold dots.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a Ruger GP100, it's stainless and there are several .38/.357 ammo types to handle most "situations". I usually have the first two chambers loaded with shot shells for snakes, in case of the need for self defense the first 2 can be quickly shot to get to the 4 .357 gold dots.

Same here. I do sometimes carry my Glock and if I am just out fishing my S&W 63.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I toyed with the idea of a Glock 20 for this role, but decided to stick to my 21SF instead. There's nothing it can't do in OK that the 20 could do significantly better. The ammo is cheaper and more readily available most of the time.

I have toyed with the idea of a .460 Rowland conversion and handloading for it however. :)

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While I am sure a 357 rifle would work for deer I lean towards 44 mag or 45 LC.
Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt can handle loads approaching .44 magnum velocities, if that's a consideration.

Since you mentioned "rifle in the same caliber" - and depending on what you're hunting - there's also a Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .30 Carbine ... it's kinda fun. :)

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW, now that we can carry openly, when fishing I carry the GP in a Hunter OWB at 3 o'clock. When using it as a "back-up for deer hunting I carry it at 9 so as to not interfere with my rifle when carried with a sling on my right shoulder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom