Woods Gun to carry while hiking hunting or fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If rifle/pistol in same caliber is on your mind Rossi makes a dandy little replica '92 Winchester. Probably rough out of the box, but if I can slick one up anyone can. Calibers up to .44mag and beyond. Mine is .44-40, easiest carrying rifle I've ever carried.

zedster

Marksman
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there while on this topic. Why does there seem to be a change in firearms and caliber when it comes to being outside (hiking, fishing, camping, etc....)??? Just saying if you have a .45acp or even a 9mm why would a person step up to a 10mm or a .357? I could see if you were going to Alaska or up into the Northwest US where you have big bear country, wolves, and mountain lions. But here in Oklahoma I think the biggest predator might be a smaller bear or a meth head.

Like I said I am just curious and asking for information purposes. Thanks

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there while on this topic. Why does there seem to be a change in firearms and caliber when it comes to being outside (hiking, fishing, camping, etc....)??? Just saying if you have a .45acp or even a 9mm why would a person step up to a 10mm or a .357? I could see if you were going to Alaska or up into the Northwest US where you have big bear country, wolves, and mountain lions. But here in Oklahoma I think the biggest predator might be a smaller bear or a meth head.

Like I said I am just curious and asking for information purposes. Thanks[/
QUOTE]

For the adjustable sights.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Like I said I am just curious and asking for information purposes. Thanks

It's like playing golf. You could play an entire game with a single club, but it's more enjoyable having the right tool for the job.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Ruger Alaskan, like earlier posted would be my all around gun.

I have a super Redhawk in .44 mag, with a 7 3/4" barrel that is just to darned long to carry comfortably. We are going on a self guided driving trip in Alaska next year. (canceled this year) and I don't want to carry that gun.

I might see about switching barrels to a 4" or something along that line.

The Super Redhawk is beefie enough that my hot handloads will run through it. Quite a bit faster than factory loads. I wouldn't put my loads through a S&W.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Really? I've killed two deer and a bobcat with my Kimber Stainless Target II that I also use as a limited 10 gun in USPSA matches.

I have pics.
Of course. There's someone like you in every conversation. I'm not even surprised your gun is a Kimber. Do the research and you'll see what I mean.

Latest posts

Top Bottom