Woods Gun to carry while hiking hunting or fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually carry a K-frame .38spl when I'm in the woods. I realize it isn't the best defense round in the entire world against chupacabras and crackheads, but I figure 6 rounds of .38 into just about anything ought to slow it down enough for me to escape by walking at a brisk pace.

rgoodjr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason I am not thinking about 9 is the biggest threat I can ever foresee running into is a really pissed off boar. While a 9 might stop it there have been hunters who have killed boars and found 9mm rounds in them from old wounds. If some boar decides he wants to rip me up, I am heading for a tree (assuming I can get my arse up one ;) then I am going to have some bacon, ribs and Ham.

I am always trying to find my holy grail of carry/home/defense gun combinations. I think Glock is next on the to try list and a 642 in the pocket (snake shot) and when I can't carry the glock. I have always been interested in the caliber conversions available for Glocks.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason I am not thinking about 9 is the biggest threat I can ever foresee running into is a really pissed off boar. While a 9 might stop it there have been hunters who have killed boars and found 9mm rounds in them from old wounds. If some boar decides he wants to rip me up, I am heading for a tree (assuming I can get my arse up one ;) then I am going to have some bacon, ribs and Ham.

I am always trying to find my holy grail of carry/home/defense gun combinations. I think Glock is next on the to try list and a 642 in the pocket (snake shot) and when I can't carry the glock. I have always been interested in the caliber conversions available for Glocks.

Those things are downright nifty!! :D I always like it when I can get 2 guns for the price of 1 and a 1/4 ... :naughty:

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

I have heard that people in Alaska successfully hunt bears with .22 rifles but that doesn't mean it's a good idea. I'd carry a bazooka out there if they'd let me.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
:shocked: Oh. My. Not me ... I'm scared of bears. Anything that can outrun me and climb a tree after me is worthy of my utmost respect ... and fear ...

Right now I'm working up by Yellowstone park where the grizzlies are. Nearby are the Bighorn Mountains where the black bears live. If I'm i the trees I have my GP100 loaded with Buffalo Bore and possibly my AR for good measure. If a bear is gonna get me I'm going to make him work for it. Oh yeah, there are also a bunch of cats up here that go where the deer go.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right now I'm working up by Yellowstone park where the grizzlies are. Nearby are the Bighorn Mountains where the black bears live. If I'm i the trees I have my GP100 loaded with Buffalo Bore and possibly my AR for good measure. If a bear is gonna get me I'm going to make him work for it. Oh yeah, there are also a bunch of cats up here that go where the deer go.

Ohhhhh ... this is sooo off-topic ... :naughty:

I bet it is really pretty up there right now ... I LOVE fall/winter weather, especially when I get to watch it from inside a nice warm cabin ... :D I've been begging GC to take a month off so we can do some traveling ... I hate taking a vacation and being rushed ... I want to take my time ... Oh well ... 2 more years ... and counting ... :naughty:

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day when I used to hike a lot, I'd carry either a Colt .45 Government model or a Smith Mountain Gun in 45 LC along with a Colt Woodsman in .22 LR

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ohhhhh ... this is sooo off-topic ... :naughty:

I bet it is really pretty up there right now ... I LOVE fall/winter weather, especially when I get to watch it from inside a nice warm cabin ... :D I've been begging GC to take a month off so we can do some traveling ... I hate taking a vacation and being rushed ... I want to take my time ... Oh well ... 2 more years ... and counting ... :naughty:

Actually it's muddy and cold for the most part. Plus yellowstone is closed and that sucks.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have only read the first page, so maybe it's been addressed.

My recommendation is the largest .44 mag you can comfortably carry around, but whatever you get, if you expect to ever encounter hogs, stay away from hollow point ammo. It really pi$$e$ 'em off unless you put it in exactly the right place. Heavy lead (jacketed or not) bullets are best. I use 300 grain flat nosed bullets, and have some CorBon 305 grain jacketed flat nose rounds that are truly fierce.

As for snakes, a hiking staff does wonders. You can move the snake out of your way with one, and if that doesn't work you can kill it very quickly and quietly. It's more dramatic to shoot them, but sometimes you don't want to make all that noise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom