Woods Gun to carry while hiking hunting or fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oklahoma wildlife department thinks it is adequate.
And I'm pretty sure the caliber of question was .45acp. I know 9mm was mentioned one time by you but you started arguing with Dennis about the 45

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Oh, I get it, you are just a jerk. Thanks for clearing that up Duke.

You jack wagons are wanting to argue caliber effectiveness with me when that wasn't what I was saying. I was talking about peoples' opinions. Sorry but I only have so much patience for people that can't grasp simple concepts even when I've explained it multiple times. That clear enough for you?
And yes, I probably am a jerk.

Toney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_20131014_174822.jpg my carry and woodsbumming pistols. One would be hard to hunt small game with, the other will take squirrels or deer at distance. Not saying the 9 wouldn't get the job done, but it would be hard!!!

I've got bigger SD guns and a big old hogleg. But for the same reason I use a subcompact for SD, I pack a k frame in the woods. And the three guns I always carry.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
View attachment 32996 my carry and woodsbumming pistols. One would be hard to hunt small game with, the other will take squirrels or deer at distance. Not saying the 9 wouldn't get the job done, but it would be hard!!!

I've got bigger SD guns and a big old hogleg. But for the same reason I use a subcompact for SD, I pack a k frame in the woods. And the three guns I always carry.
I like that Smith. I have a model 65 almost just like it.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think birdshot 38 spl would be best for snakes, and any magnum round hollow point for the big animal protection. This may differ depending on which region you are in. It would also require carrying two sidearms, I don't know how efficient that would be. My personal choice is dependent on what I may be hunting, if I'm going to be in a stand with a large bore long distance deer rifle, I would carry my 45 with personal defense rounds. If I'm going to be on the ground, maybe hunting hogs I would be using my AK with bayonet attached and carry my S&W model 28 357 mag. I would try and avoid all snakes as much as possible, and if confronted by aggressive animal I couldn't get away from I'm going to be loaded with a 20 rd mag and pig sticker. That's just me, and I'm probably wrong, LOL.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think birdshot 38 spl would be best for snakes, and any magnum round hollow point for the big animal protection. This may differ depending on which region you are in. It would also require carrying two sidearms, I don't know how efficient that would be. My personal choice is dependent on what I may be hunting, if I'm going to be in a stand with a large bore long distance deer rifle, I would carry my 45 with personal defense rounds. If I'm going to be on the ground, maybe hunting hogs I would be using my AK with bayonet attached and carry my S&W model 28 357 mag. I would try and avoid all snakes as much as possible, and if confronted by aggressive animal I couldn't get away from I'm going to be loaded with a 20 rd mag and pig sticker. That's just me, and I'm probably wrong, LOL.
My understanding is that you want more penetration and less expansion for protection from larger predators like bear and mountain lion.

Dukester

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hollow points are bad for big critters.

Latest posts

Top Bottom