Worst centerfire rifle design?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These folks know how to make guns. The reverse use of a pump action would take the rear part of my brain a while to get used to, but for dangerous game it would be faster than a bolt and more reliable than an auto. Also, bringing the action toward one's shoulder as the last stroke will speed up the second shot because it will seat the stock firmly into the shoulder. Not a big thing unless you are shooting at something coming to kill you at high speed.
Kind of radical, yes. Price, considering who made it? Pretty good. I couldn't possibly justify buying one, but I would if money was no issue at all. CB

Good point and I do think that is part of their goal. If it matters, in magnum offerings, the magazine only holds 3 rounds but you can also top of the mag while the it is open.

It's an interesting concept. At the very least, I'm glad that someone is pushing the envelope for new designs.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
... faster than a bolt and more reliable than an auto. Also, bringing the action toward one's shoulder as the last stroke will speed up the second shot because it will seat the stock firmly into the shoulder. Not a big thing unless you are shooting at something coming to kill you at high speed.

Faster than a bolt ... I'll give you that. More reliable than an auto - puh-lease. You telling me that if I put 1000 rounds of 30-06 - you would choose this contraption over a Garand in a reliability test?

I also believe the action forces you to LOSE shoulder contact - while pulling with weak hand you have to push with your strong hand, thus unloading the shoulder; just like in pump action shotgun the pushing AWAY of the weak hand insures firm shoulder contact because you are pulling with your strong hand into the shoulder.

Nobody in their right mind would take that junk to a dangerous game hunt - you have no leverage on the bolt: the most minute piece of dirt in chamber will make the gun inop. In a semi, cartridge gets slammed into chamber by spring/buffer and extracted by a gas jolt. With Semprio straight pull design (don't get fooled, just because the bolt is cleverly attached to the butt stock - the principle didn't change) you can butt slam it on the ground if the cartridge is not seating, but then how do you open it - wedge a screw driver in the middle?
Really, what's the clearing procedure here - put the action in the vice and sledgehammer the front sight, or the other way around - put barrel in the vice and hammer the pistol grip? At least Garand and AR have something to hold on to while trying to inertia clear it...

P.S. The writer in American Hunter did manage to jam the thing right off the bet (twice) - 5+inch action in wrong direction ain't no joke.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For dangerous game, I'm still choosing a double rifle. Not much to go wrong there and if you need more than two shots then you're in trouble anyway.

Ps. Since this thing only holds three magnum cartridges, you'd be faster with a double on two and if it came down to it, four.

HiPower

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That thing is just goofy. Talk about an answer to the unasked question!
I see someones love affair lasting right up to the point that they slam some skin in between the action halves - the blood blister will be epic!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...Or magazines are just total sell-outs and can't say something sucks?

This. Most gun rags have gone that route....just follow the money. Same goes for folks who receive sponsorship and other perks that go around boards like ours pimpin' a product.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Faster than a bolt ... I'll give you that. More reliable than an auto - puh-lease. You telling me that if I put 1000 rounds of 30-06 - you would choose this contraption over a Garand in a reliability test?

I also believe the action forces you to LOSE shoulder contact - while pulling with weak hand you have to push with your strong hand, thus unloading the shoulder; just like in pump action shotgun the pushing AWAY of the weak hand insures firm shoulder contact because you are pulling with your strong hand into the shoulder.

Nobody in their right mind would take that junk to a dangerous game hunt - you have no leverage on the bolt: the most minute piece of dirt in chamber will make the gun inop. In a semi, cartridge gets slammed into chamber by spring/buffer and extracted by a gas jolt. With Semprio straight pull design (don't get fooled, just because the bolt is cleverly attached to the butt stock - the principle didn't change) you can butt slam it on the ground if the cartridge is not seating, but then how do you open it - wedge a screw driver in the middle?
Really, what's the clearing procedure here - put the action in the vice and sledgehammer the front sight, or the other way around - put barrel in the vice and hammer the pistol grip? At least Garand and AR have something to hold on to while trying to inertia clear it...

P.S. The writer in American Hunter did manage to jam the thing right off the bet (twice) - 5+inch action in wrong direction ain't no joke.

Only you could get your 5 inch action going in the wrong direction. :D

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Autoloaders in the dangerous game cartridges pretty much don't exist, and I should probably not have made the comparison. As to round count, the thing holds three plus one, as shown in the video which repeatedly shows four shots.

I agree that a double rifle is the ultimate in reliability except for a good single shot, which has an obvious downside.

I have been around Krieghoff guns for quite a few years, and have never seen anything other than excellent products.

About the test guy jamming the weapon. I suspect he short stroked it. A parallel example would be a new shooter limp wristing a Glock. My old 17 was, I thought, unjammable, but a new lady shooter was able to repeatedly cause it to fail by limp wristing. Every design has its limitations. I still think I would like to try this one.

Will the concept catch on? Maybe in Europe, and to a limited extent, maybe in Africa. Here? doubtful. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom