Worst handgun ever built??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear horrible things about the Nambu as well as the Italian Astra, but the worst I have ever personally had experience with was a Lorcin .380 (same as Jennings, Davis, Jimenez, etc.), which I got on a trade back when I was a teenager. The front end of the slide got cracks in both sides and it was pulling up and rubbing on the barrel. It eventually got so it wouldn't function, so I hack-sawed the front of the slide off (these pieces of junk aren't even made to disassemble) and JB-welded it back together, lol. I guess I gummed it up too much or something because it still didn't work... probably a blessing. I still have it in a junk drawer somewhere, waiting for some agency in Oklahoma to do one of those ridiculous gun "buy backs." ;)

You know, Hi-Point is actually OK in my book, because unlike those other cheapass pistol makers, they realized up front that "yes, we are going to make these hunks of junk out of very sub-par pot metal," and took this into account in the design, which is why they have such beefy slides. They remind me of some of the German last-ditch weapons that they were cranking out when they only had crap steel left. Just use a simple direct blowback design, and give the slide so much mass that extraction is slow enough that the pressure drops to a safe level before the case wall is exposed, even with the more powerful handgun rounds. Yes, the final product ends up being heavy and bulky, but there isn't really a whole lot that can go wrong, safety wise, with that type of design. Have you guys seen the hi-point torture tests on youtube?

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RG
Jimeniz
Raven

agree with henschman about Hi Point. My FIL had 2 HP's and they shot every time. I have never owned one and prolly never will.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would never ever pay good $ for 1 of those things. my cousin has 1 that a friend of his gave him and it jams about 2 times per magazine. I've only fired the 9 and 45. hated both of them.

I would never ever pay good money for one of those things. my cousin has one that a friend of his gave him and it jams about 2 times per magazine. I've only fired the 9 and 45. hated both of them.

I realize that in text message land you need to abbreviate things but it doesn't need to be done here.

You are making a great gun snob impression I will leave you up on your high horse where you belong.

[Broken External Image]

Weatherby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The high point just may be the best handgun ever built./QUOTE]

so home much did Hi-point just pay you for that plug?

I'm still waiting to hear back from them about my compensation.

I've never owned a high point, but if a firearm has a lifetime warranty, it can't take the title of worst ever. Most other brands mentioned here don't have any type warranty support, as they are no longer in business. The sub par nature of their products was a direct result of that. Meanwhile, high point has been around for a while and seems to be doing fine.

Also, I have shot most of the brands mentioned in this thread. High point, while similar to launching projectiles from a brick, is by far the best pistol mentioned for the previously noted reasons. There will be lemons on any production line, but some companies seem to produce more than others.

Last edited:

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I realize that in text message land you need to abbreviate things but it doesn't need to be done here.

You are making a great gun snob impression I will leave you up on your high horse where you belong.

[Broken External Image]

I'm still in text message land sir. you don't know this but I don't own a PC not that you would care, but its somewhat difficult to type on here. I'm just happy if I can be understood so I have obviously achieved that goal as even you could tell what I was saying. ahhhhh the breeze is nice up here on my horse, I can see everything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom