Would you call police

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
soooooooo what? Give it to someone else to be dishonest with? I thought it was stated up there that the police kept it? I always knew it to be turn it in, wait, reclaim, but hell if someone else is just going to take off with it.... Forget about it.

Collect it up, be honest. If someone is looking for it, by all means return it to them, it's theirs. I wasn't justifying anything. I was making the point that if nobody came forward over that kind of cash, something is fishy. I don't a have even a twinge of heartburn watching a BG lose his proceeds to me! Well that is as long as it wasn't a bank robbery!

Doesn't matter, it's not yours, no way to rationalize keeping something that doesn't belong to you based on what you think someone else will do with it.

It's a very basic principle, that many want to inject a gray area(conditional honesty) into. But like most things these days folks find ways to justify being dishonest. Kind of like the guy that stole the AC Condensor on my old house that ODOT bought, I mean, they weren't using it, and the guy that bought the house to move was a scumbag so he deserved to have to buy a new one....

Not mine = no keep

seurto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes, conditional honesty is a good way to put it.. I agree..

I have no arguement for that categorization of it.
touche'..

I still feel that I could put it to better use than the person who may have left it there, just sayin.. lol

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Conditional honesty" seems to be common in the schools now. Guess they're getting it from their "conditionally honest" parents.

When do you fess up that it is just old-fashioned dishonesty?

I know found money is not mine, so I would follow the law. My self respect is not for sale.

A family member dropped their wallet in the Base Exchange, and a young airman picked it up and took it to the cashier, who called out on the PA. He was surprised when he got a cash reward for being honest.

My son in law left his wallet beside the cash register at a gun store to get another item, and when he returned a few seconds later, his wallet and the guy who was behind him were both gone forever. Thanks, "fellow gun owner."

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a metal detectorist, I can already say that I would follow the finders-keepers thing, but do it the right way.

Stop, collect it all(making sure to know just how much is there), record that amount, turn it over to the police, wait 90 days, then claim it.

I have a friend that was detecting in the woods. Found an old stove with 2 mason jars sealed with cash and coin to the tune of $13k. He turned it in, waited the 90 days(in which time an ad was ran in the paper) and then reclaimed it.

Think what you want about the police side of paper money takes, but if you remember to get your side straight first, then they will too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom