Would you shoot a NIB Model 29?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm entertaining purchasing a 3 - 4" model 29 pistola, and I've come across a few that are New-In-Box. But I like to shoot what I buy, do you think I'd be paying more for a never fired gun, then devaluing it by shooting it? Thing is, I have come across several close to what I want but they have either been beat up and shot up, or they are mint with all the original junk.

But, my question isn't specific to just this model, any of the older Smith's could be substituted.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You could almost substitute ANY gun in this question. Almost anything can be found NIB and the same gun can be found used....

Some guns have higher than original values by staying NIB ( Pythons, commemoratives, rare guns for example) but a M29 isn't that big of a deal to shoot if it's unfired.

Are you the kind of guy that buys new or used?

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter to me if it's used, I just don't want one that's been in a holster for the last 20 or 30 years, and I'd kinda like to have all the "junk" that it came with.

Oh, since my question may be a little ambiguous, I'm talking specifically about older guns that are unfired, not current production guns.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
to get max bang for your $$$ and you have no intentions of keeping gun in NIB condition. buy one in excellent but not perfect condition.

the premium for NIB will quickly go away... however some folks are willing to pay extra for NIB condition, so they know exactly condition gun is in.

got too many safe queens already... only will buy shooters

okiebertt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To me, it all depends on what it is. I only have a couple of unfired pistols that I bought as collectibles, the rest have been shot at least once. With a model 29, shoot it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Are there alot of collectors out there hoarding S&W revolver's? YES

Are there specific S&W revolver's I wouldn't shoot? YES, but very, very few!

I have a friend on both of the S&W forums, even though he's a nice guy, he's still a hoarder of N-frame S&W revolvers, mostly 29's and 629's. We are talking several hundred, with most never being fired.

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OPS last i checked has a nice LNIB S&W model 29-2 4 inch for $699

Blue or nickel? Thanks for the heads up, that's definitely less than I have seen others for, probably check it out if it's still there.

Its a gun. Guns=tools. Use it and shoot it.

I completely agree, which is why I asked. I fully intend to fire, many times, whatever I purchase, but I don't want to pay a premium for an unfired pistol and then take it out and shoot it when I could have paid less for one that was shot a few times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom