XDM .40 vs XD Compact .45

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD Compact .45, or XDM .40?

• The XD .45! Bigger is better!

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • The .40! 16+1, baby!

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recoil mostly. They stated that a .40 is "snappier" even than a .45, which makes some sense to me being that it is a higher pressure round. But like i said i have slim to none experience shooting a .40. This info was coming from sources that shoot several thousand rounds a year and MANY people on this site would trust very well.

I can attest to this personally, on a limited scale. I've shot a G30, G36, G23, G24C, XD40 Standard, and a XD45 Tactical. In my hands, it's readily apparent that amongst these semi's, the .40's recoil is sharper and of shorter duration (i.e., "snappy") than that of the .45 cartridge. I prefer the .45 handguns partly for this reason, though I'll be the first to say the G36 is quite the handful :P

TheRulingFool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, as soon as I make a sale (either the .308 Vanguard or the USP, both in the classifieds), I'll be picking up either the .45 Compact or the XDM .40. I've owned both, and sold both (financial reasons), and I honestly don't know which one to go for. I'm fine with both calibers, but I have love of .45. On the other hand, the 16+1 of the XDM .40 is fantastic. I just don't know what it'll take to tip me, either way.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While my experience with handguns is limited in comparison to many on these forums, I do own two .40 and am a new owner of .45.

My .40's are a Glock 23C (compensated barrel) and an XD compact. The .45 is NOT a compact. It is the .45 with 4" barrel, service model.

I tell you all that for this reason:

With the .45, I get a closer grouping of my shots than I do with either of the .40's. The shot group with the XD 40 is closer than the shot group of the Glock 23C.

Now, I am aware that the 4" barrel on the .45 will have a factor on its accuracy, but at the same time, prior to firing the XD 45, I had only fired roughly 20 rounds with a .45. I also have to agree that I think the .40's have a "snappier" recoil than the .45, but that may simply be the extra weight of the .45.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with several of the above regarding the recoil of the .40 vs .45.

I had a glock 23 and although it was very accurate, I would find my hand would get tired and start shaking a bit after about 50 rounds down range. I don't know if it was due to the recoil or the grip angle of the glock.

I traded it in for an xD .45 compact, and I can shoot that all day without any ill-effect, regardless of whether I'm using the extended mags or the 10-round compact mags.

craigger1

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted for the XDM40. I recently purchased one after looking at the whole line of XD at a gun expo with Springfield reps. The main seller is how it felt and looked. 16+1 didn't hurt in the decision either. I'd shot a XD and liked it a lot. The concensus of people online was: if you liked the XD, you'll love the XDM's. Thus, I went with the biggest caliber of XDM's which is the .40.

Hunter_55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have not had the privilege to shoot the xd 45 but have the xd 40. I feel it shoots great, has more capacity and the ammo is easier to find as well is cheaper. My main small conceal carry is the Ruger LCP .380 for times I have to be very discreet in my carrying.

I do use my XD 40 most of the time however. It just gives a little more confidence.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love my XDm 40, haven't really thought about recoil difference with it and a .45. Only .45 I've shot was a full size 1911, really liked that one. If SA comes out with a .45 XDm I will probably have to have it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom