Your Cell Phone Searched During A Routine Traffice Stop, Without A Search Warrant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bierhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After re-reading the various articles on this, I haven't found any information that says the police have actually used these devices in routine traffic stops or in any other inappropriate manner. so far, all I'm reading is speculation on the ACLU's part. I hope the police aren't using these devices as alleged; but until there's proof of such activity, this is all just speculation.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After re-reading the various articles on this, I haven't found any information that says the police have actually used these devices in routine traffic stops or in any other inappropriate manner. so far, all I'm reading is speculation on the ACLU's part. I hope the police aren't using these devices as alleged; but until there's proof of such activity, this is all just speculation.

It would be out of character for the ACLU to issue a press release without some sort of evidence of the alleged activity. That's one reason their briefs are highly regarded in the legal system.

ithrowicecubes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your phone's GPS logs two sets of coordinates along a stretch of road with timestamps, the math could be done to calculate your speed. Is that enough to write a speeding ticket?

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That thing is a forensics tool, flat out, and should be in the hands of a tech. No offense to LEOs, but I really don't want my mail man doing my dentistry either.

The thought that runs through my head is why would an officer ask for my cell phone? That kind of blows my mind. I mean asking for my drivers license? Sure, I get that, but asking for my cell phone is up there with asking for my blood type and bank statement, you know? It just doesn't seem logical, let alone useful. I actually thought the concern was that the UFED device could break into a phone via the wireless antenna, and that the fear was it being done without the citizen's knowledge, but according to the user manual, the UFED has to be physically connected to the device.

Weird.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
but they defend criminals and threaten our christian way of life in America

Yeah... I had a pastor who referred to them on a few occasions as the Anti-Christian Liberties Union. He also didn't like Dave Kopel, presumably because of separation of church and state because, from my observations, they agreed on nearly everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom