youth bonus antlerless deer hunts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son got drawn twice for the Alfalfa County youth hunt. Landowners were really nice, and ODWC people were too. Had wild-game chili for everyone both years, pretty nice after sitting in a blind in the cold. Very gracious folks.

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm familiar with a lot of the ranches in this area, but have not heard of this hunt. We have some new ranch owners that have bought the ones I used to work for.

The Nature Conservency bought the old Chapman Barnard ranch to build the Tall Grass Prarie Preserve, Ted Turner bought 45000 acres next to it to introduce the black footed ferret back into the mix, but I haven't heard how that has turned out.
The Mormon Church has bought around 60000 acres in Osage County 20 years ago. They do have deer hunts on this property, but don't know if the youth hunt is on it.

They have had youth hunts on the Western Wall WMA in the past with great results.

Thats about the extent my info at this time.

Now that's a spread!

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, I am impressed that the ODWC advertised like they did this year. Generally this is a high draw odds hunt for kids. That will probably chane this year. I do know that in years past, there have been times that all hunt spots were not filled because of a lack of entries.

The Ellis County hunt is a pretty neat hunt. It takes place on roughly 5000 acres of private land. Last season saw a lower harvest rate, due mostly in part to the drought and the impact it has had on the deer herd out this way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom