Zero Turn Mowers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hustler Raptor 54” with 23 hp Kawasaki hands down. Welded/fabricated deck is the only way to go, mine covers 2 acres in just over an hour and I have 105 trees to mow around (not exaggerating)!

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m in the market for a ZTR mower for mowing a residential lawn. Just over an acre and fairly flat except for one area that is sloped. Not looking for the cheapest, but the best value for the buck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bought the least expensive considered brand, Gravely ztx 52 powered by Kawasaki so far so good coming on the 2nd season, Was a shade over 2k.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in ‘18, my dad bought a Bob Cat (not to be confused with the skid steer maker) ZTR. everything about it is great except for the Generac engine, which is a piece of junk. It needs a choke (which it doesn’t have) to start, and it threw a rod after not quite three seasons of cutting.

FWIW, every other model they make uses a Kawasaki except for this one, which is propane-powered. (Dad wanted the propane model. I don’t know why, but I vaguely recall it having something to do with a tax rebate.)

When I was looking into ZTRs back then, everyone warned against Generac engines in ZTRs, and my anecdotal experience agrees with that. If it’s a Generac mill, just walk on by…

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a Hustler X1i to mow five acres. I have been very pleased with it. I think any of the major brands will work well for you. I picked Hustler based on financing deals available at the time and because they offered a warranty a year longer than competitors. I would add a couple of recommendations based on my experience. Get the biggest mower deck you can. I went with 60 inch deck and am very glad I did. I would also seriously look at a model with a tilting deck, it will make maintenance much easier.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might look at a SCAG mower, I have one going on 7 years now, only changed the oil and filter, plugs and blades and belts. Mow 5 acres weekly or every other week. April-October. 54” cut 25hp Kawasaki.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran a Kohler powered Toro built in '97 for 24 years and had very few problems.

When I decided to replace it at the beginning of last season I shopped Toro but they seemed to be much less robust than my old one.
Looked at several brands but opted for a SCAG with a Kawasaki. They had a 0% financing deal going so that helped.
So far so good. Cuts faster and cleaner than the Toro ever did.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Dixon (Husqvarna) 52" in 12 or 14, can't remember. It's been pretty trouble free, although not completely. Couple of safety switch issues and I spun a pulley hub, but those were not big deals. I recently added a 52" Ferris ISX 800 to the stable because of the suspension. I'm getting too old to take the beating because of the rough condition of my yard. Haven't even started it yet except to unload it and pull it in. My fescue needs a trim, but I'll use the Dixon for that, so I'm probably another 4-5 weeks before I mow with the new Ferris.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought a Bad Boy Rebel 72" with Kawasaki 35hp. My first ZT I've owned and really like it. It's a beast, cuts fast and nice. I posted a thread on here about 4 weeks ago and got a lot of good feedback as well. Because I'm a pic whore.
Pic 1.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom