06 Chevy transmission issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been lucky so far with my truck. Bought it with 130K on it already and who knows how long before that point the transmission was serviced. I did it at around 165K as it was doing a little stutter shift from time to time. I have the dodge 545rfe but when I serviced it the issue went away after a week or so. I put in a drain plug for the trans so it would be easier to service the next time and made sure to disconnect the line at the cooler so it could flush out almost all the old fluid. I am at about 210K now.

For anything other than the dodge's I have heard good things from TransX bringing the trans back to life. One guy only had first and second in a chevy. After servicing and adding it in reverse came back as well as third. I think it was a TH350 but that was a while ago. For the transmissions running ATF+4 I know that adding ANYTHING other than the correct trans fluid is bad news and will burn them up real quick.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been told and totally believe you never do anything but pull the fluid from the auto tranny's and never drop the pan to clean anything.
Toyota's are the only truck I'm aware of that has a drain plug. I drained mine once at about 200,000 miles and sold it at 365,000 miles. The Transmission is still working today with it's third owner that is a son of a family friend.
Most transmissions now operate off the onboard computer using solenoid valves to move the spools internally.. Lucas tranny fluid fixed a transmission in a ford that I used to own.
Its too hard to troubleshoot one while the other side is on the road.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have to drop the pan if you are going to change filters though. Mine has the sump filter as well as a spin on like an oil filter. 200k is a long time for tranny fluid to run though. I think mine is every 100k http://blog.chiltondiymanuals.com/2...ed-truck-routine-maintenance-reference-guide/ and most are pretty similar.

If you tow regularly it's a lot less than 100k for service intervals on a transmission. The hotter the fluid gets the faster it breaks down. At 325 degrees so towing uphill in a hot climate with a big load for long distances it will only last about 500 miles.

transmission-temperature-chart.jpg

That it's why I cringe when I see little cars pulling trailers u haul will put a hitch on anything. I know someone who had a vehicle they were going to use to tow with and I advised them against it. They were hauling a little pickup on a trailer and they had uhaul install the hitch and rent the trailer. They said it would be fine. They made it to okc from Lawton and the trans died. It was a new vehicle with maybe 40k on it. But if I remember was a small SUV like a juke or rogue size but can't remember the brand. Uhaul paid for the rebuild but still the lost time and other issues just isn't worth it not to mention that it will never really be the same again and with carfax you just took a lot off the resale value.

Last edited:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
@dbleak
What ever happened with your tranny?
Well, it acted fine for about two months. Then I was coming back from Tulsa and it just lost power at the chandler exit. I pulled off and put it in 4wd and limped down 66 to Edmond. Needed a shift collar and transfer case rebuild

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4l60 series trannys from GM are not the best. More so the earlier ones, they were well known for blowing the 3-4 clutch pack busting the sunshells, planetary gears. There are better aftermarket upgraded parts. If you do have it rebuilt pay the extra and tell the shop to upgrade parts in it, clutches, sunshell. It will be alot better in the long run. I had the tranny in my 94 rebuilt twice due to it puked at 20k due to a OEM style rebuild. Had another guy build it again and he did it right. 100% new parts and better parts been fine ever since and was a few years ago. I am not easy on the pedal either, I don't tow anything and its never had an issue. My builder told me normal driving change the fluid every 20k miles if towing alot and heavy stuff change it more often.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I change my fluids in the automatic new cars every other oil change which is 6000 miles.
Just pull drain plug and refill.
300,000+ miles on my Ford and Toyota automatics.

No overdrive GM in my herd just good old TH350's
Sucks about the aluminum parts in the 700 and 4L60.
All my buddies that had them busted them with minimal miles.

I did pick up 2 2004R transmissions and many parts for them a couple years ago..probably never use them.

dirtrider73068

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 4l60e trannys are good if you build them with better parts, there is alot of info of guys doing the 4l80e swap in its overall GM's best new tranny its pretty tough. Now why didn't they make the 4l60e that was is beyond me, oh because they want your money on many rebuilds you going to need.

Latest posts

Top Bottom