The dreaded ‘Reduced Engine Power’ on 06 Chevy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Update-the truck started this morning without going to REP for the first time this week. I’m doing all the free, cheap or simple things first. The K&N filter was pretty dirty so I’m cleaning it this morning. And yes, that can be one of the causes.
My exhaust has a funky odor and bad cats and O2’s can cause it. Going back stock on the exhaust and intake has been in the plans already.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
fleet mechanic to over 50 ford diesels here... college degree from chrysler, jeep, and dodge...

Ill take an 11 or newer 6.7 ford diesel over a Ram any day of the week.
Ford trucks have a defect in their structural design that can all too easily creat a twist in their frame when crossing a ditch or gully with a heavily loaded bed if the load gets distributed across the vehicle’s center axis (front right x rear left; or front left x rear right). I’ve seen this happen in off-road conditions to otherwise beautifully made trucks. I had a 2009 4x4 7.3L Diesel Excursion which was the ‘Cat’s Ass’, but they don’t make them like that anymore. The Ford 6.7L Diesel has e superb power curve, but if you’re going to use it hard, one should spend the money for ‘Bullet Proofing’.
Also, the old Ford 5 or 6 Speed Manual Transmissions (I can’t remember which) were great, but they don’t make them anymore, either.

I’m going to stick with my old 2002 Flatbed RAM 2500 4x4, 5.9 Diesel, 5 Speed Manual Transmission, 35 Gallon Fuel Tank and a 90 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank for refilling our Tractor, Zero Turn Mower and Side x Side Diesels., and a Warn 16.5 Pound Winch until I can’t drive anymore, then I want it buried with me…..it’s only weakness is it’s BOSCH VP-44 High Pressures Fuel Pump. I bought this rig new in October 2001, but didn’t know that they’d just changed from the more reliable Mechanical High Pressure Fuel Pump. I had a ‘Juice With Attitude’ programmer installed years ago, but only use it to monitor the engine and for towing heavy loads in hill country.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ford trucks have a defect in their structural design that can all too easily creat a twist in their frame when crossing a ditch or gully with a heavily loaded bed if the load gets distributed across the vehicle’s center axis (front right x rear left; or front left x rear right). I’ve seen this happen in off-road conditions to otherwise beautifully made trucks. I had a 2009 4x4 7.3L Diesel Excursion which was the ‘Cat’s Ass’, but they don’t make them like that anymore. The Ford 6.7L Diesel has e superb power curve, but if you’re going to use it hard, one should spend the money for ‘Bullet Proofing’.
Also, the old Ford 5 or 6 Speed Manual Transmissions (I can’t remember which) were great, but they don’t make them anymore, either.

I’m going to stick with my old 2002 Flatbed RAM 2500 4x4, 5.9 Diesel, 5 Speed Manual Transmission, 35 Gallon Fuel Tank and a 90 Gallon Auxiliary Fuel Tank for refilling our Tractor, Zero Turn Mower and Side x Side Diesels., and a Warn 16.5 Pound Winch until I can’t drive anymore, then I want it buried with me…..it’s only weakness is it’s BOSCH VP-44 High Pressures Fuel Pump. I bought this rig new in October 2001, but didn’t know that they’d just changed from the more reliable Mechanical High Pressure Fuel Pump. I had a ‘Juice With Attitude’ programmer installed years ago, but only use it to monitor the engine and for towing heavy loads in hill country.
“ …..16.5 Thousand Pound Winch….”

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 03 suburban started doing weird stuff similar. Yep, threw a few parts at it. Resolved it by replacing what seemed to be a good battery that sounded a little weak on one start. Apparently had an intermittent short in one cell that was throwing the ecm out of whack even while driving. Good luck to you having your problem resolved.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a friend with an issue with starting.
He eventually replaced the large Positive battery cable to the starter. He jiggled it and found it felt odd in one spot.

He cut that insulation off around the area and found he got the 1 in 1000 cable.
It was the end of the copper wire and it was spliced together with the next run of copper wire and it had pulled apart slightly.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I tested the battery and it ‘showed’ good but that doesn’t always mean anything. It is from April of 19 which it pushing max for batteries these days. That may be my next move. I’m going to try it again when I get home. If it starts with no REP it will be two times in a row.

jeepjackazz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

They didnt make a 7.3 excursion in 09, they didnt even make an excursion after 06ish.. production of the 7.3 ended in 04ish..

Dodge dropped the mechanical p7100 in 98.5, so missed it by a long shot, amd the vp44 wasnt a bad pump, the lack of fuel to it is what killed most of them.

We run narrow chassis, not wide chassis. The 450/550 isnt the same setup as a 250/350. They weigh 14,500ish and frame flex isnt a concern.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank, I must have missed it. I’m checking that now but my wire appears to be ok. I’m checking all the others with the key on like the guy in the video.
Let me try to explain, guy in video had a LOOSE ground. as he moved wire it made and lost ground. IF your wire is totally BROKEN it won't necessarily act like this it will do nothing just as you describe yours doing if ends of broken wires don't touch when you move it. You need to CHECK GROUNDS NOT CHECK FOR GROUNDS. In other words you need to make sure GROUNDS that are SUPPOSED to be there are and are constant. Actual ground on the hot wire of tail light will blow fuse.

Latest posts

Top Bottom