1,000 yd. Deer / Coyote Rifle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please understand that I'm bragging here but, I shot a coyote at a measured 810 yds. yesterday...

I took pictures of my rifle the day before and went to take pictures of the coyote and my camera batteries were dead. I went back to take pictures today but, that son-of-a-gun smelled so bad, I just could'nt get close enough to get a good picture...

I at least hope you like the rifle...
ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_234_20WHITE_20EXPRESS_001.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_234_20WHITE_20EXPRESS_009.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_234_20WHITE_20EXPRESS_029.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_234_20WHITE_20EXPRESS_031.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_234_20WHITE_20EXPRESS_018.jpg

I'll list out the specs on this rifle if anyone is interested....

D&T

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, here is a list of specs on this rifle:

ACTION - Remington 700 / blue-printed / set up as a single shot / bolt face modified and a Sako style extractor installed...

BARREL - Hart / 1.450" diameter / 30" length...

FLUTING - Done by me...

CALIBER - 243 WHITE EXPRESS / a cartridge I designed and developed back in 1994...

OVERSIZE RECOIL LUG...

TRIGGER - Timney / adjusted to 12 oz...

STOCK - McMillan B-R / 3" wide forend / weighted to 10 lbs...

BASE - Weaver...

RINGS - Burris Signature ZEE Rings...

SCOPE - Nikon 8X-32X-50mm...

TOTAL WEIGHT - 29 lbs...

ACCURACY - 300 yd. groups average 3/4" / 600 yd. groups average 2"...

MOST ACCURATE BULLET - 95 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip / Sierra 100 gr. B.T. - S.P....

Anything else, just ask!

D&T

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sanjuro82 - thank you! There was no wind - dead calm. The coyote was in a relatively flat and open field. In fact, the place where the coyote was shot, is shown in the background of the first picture....

sharkbait - the 243 W-E is similar to a 6mm Ackley Improved and gives the same ballistics. Sierra's 100 gr. B.T. - S.P. is chronographed at 3,262 fps....

ez bake - the 243 WHITE EXPRESS is a 6mm. This gun stays sighted in to hit point of aim at 600 yds. and anything past that distance is "dialed-in". I used the Burris Signature Zee rings to set the scope at 600 yds. for both windage and elevation. The windage adjustments in the scope stay perfectly centered until I need to make an adjustment for wind. The scope has been targeted at 650 yds., 700 yds., 750 yds., etc., out to 1,000 yds. and once I have my distance confirmed, I dial the scope in to that distance, put the cross hair or mil dot where I want the bullet to go and very gently squeeze the trigger...

I just pulled the Nikon scope off a couple minutes ago and will be replacing it with one of the Bushnell 6500 scopes in 4.5X-30X-50mm with mil-dots. This scope will also be set at 600 yds. with the Burris rings. I have mounted many of these Bushnell 6500 scopes on rifles that I have built for customers and I have been quite impressed with their tracking abilities as well as the amount of adjustments they have for both windage and elevation....

D&T

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sanjuro82 - thank you! There was no wind - dead calm. The coyote was in a relatively flat and open field. In fact, the place where the coyote was shot, is shown in the background of the first picture....

sharkbait - the 243 W-E is similar to a 6mm Ackley Improved and gives the same ballistics. Sierra's 100 gr. B.T. - S.P. is chronographed at 3,262 fps....

ez bake - the 243 WHITE EXPRESS is a 6mm. This gun stays sighted in to hit point of aim at 600 yds. and anything past that distance is "dialed-in". I used the Burris Signature Zee rings to set the scope at 600 yds. for both windage and elevation. The windage adjustments in the scope stay perfectly centered until I need to make an adjustment for wind. The scope has been targeted at 650 yds., 700 yds., 750 yds., etc., out to 1,000 yds. and once I have my distance confirmed, I dial the scope in to that distance, put the cross hair or mil dot where I want the bullet to go and very gently squeeze the trigger...

I just pulled the Nikon scope off a couple minutes ago and will be replacing it with one of the Bushnell 6500 scopes in 4.5X-30X-50mm with mil-dots. This scope will also be set at 600 yds. with the Burris rings. I have mounted many of these Bushnell 6500 scopes on rifles that I have built for customers and I have been quite impressed with their tracking abilities as well as the amount of adjustments they have for both windage and elevation....

D&T

So your Nikon was a mil-dot scope (I say that because if you hit a coyote at that distance, I wouldn't think you'd have a marker out there so I was wondering how you'd measure distance with a duplex reticle and not something mil or moa based)?

I understand doping your rifle at various yardages, but a 6mm bullet is fairly lightweight and at 100gr and I can't imagine that the bullet at 3200+fps isn't going to move a crap-load under even a 1-5mph wind (yes that was a double-negative).

It's hard as hell for me to get out to 500yds with a .223 (and I can barely get to 600-800yds with either of my .308 bolt-guns - one's got a Hart barrel and the other has a Broughton barrel), so I'm very impressed.

Who did the blueprinting and action work?

Latest posts

Top Bottom