1,000 yd. Deer / Coyote Rifle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That gun is just amazing!

I would love to get into long-range shooting as it fascinates the heck out of me. I just really haven't gotten around to it with other stuff going on right now. And everything you all are talking about makes absolutely no sense to me. haha

"Yeah, I'm gonna have it fluted so I can blue-print the hell out of it!"

"Dude, that thing should shoot laser beams!"

See? No idea. :D

romanleader

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This gun has a 1-10" twist rate..

I did not build this gun around any of the high B.C. bullets because I do not use them for shooting deer...

The bullet used for the coyote and most deer is Sierra's 100 gr. B.T. - S.P....

I use refrigerated coolant when I flute a barrel - 28 degrees. This keeps both the barrel and cutter from heating up and does in fact reduce stress from the machining process. I don't know of anyone else that does this....

D&T

What cutter is used for fluting?

Reaction score
OK, I have to ask a dumb question. How does removing metal, (fluting) from a barrel make it stiffer?

It doesn't! It makes it stiffer *for the same weight*. In other words, a round barrel with a smaller diameter of the same weight would be less stiff than this barrel of a larger diameter with fluting.

But, had the fluting not been done with material removed on THIS barrel with the larger diameter, it would be even stiffer than it is now. So you're thinking correctly, gillman.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, is the 243 W-E more efficient than the 243 AI, or just a new "twist" on the 6mm caliber? What are teh differences in the W-E vs AI?

Did you blue print your own action?

The 243 W-E is a round I developed back in 1994 and is basically a rimmed version of the 6mm Ackley Improved...

Yes, I blue-printed my own action...

I gathered up all the metal chips after fluting and as best as I can remember, I believe it was something like 18 oz....

I fluted this barrel on my lathe and only for one reason - because everyone said that it could not be done. Would I flute this way again? Nope! I have a big milling machine set up for barrel fluting and that's all it does...

I have never done any "tests" to see if or how much stiffer fluting makes a barrel but, I do know for a fact that a barrel with a "straight taper" is much more stiffer and less prone to flexing over that of a "step tapered" barrel....

D&T

addendum - I almost forgot. By going to a rimmed cartridge, I had to modify the bolt face as well as add a Sako style extractor. Here is a picture of that....
ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_234_20WHITE_20EXPRESS_023.jpg

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read this thread the other day at work, but im unable to see the pics there. Now that Ive seen it on my own computer, that gun looks awesome! Does anyone have any idea about how much it costs to have a barrel fluted? and is there anyone you guys would recommend in the OKC area? I actually live near Lawton, but I dont know of anyone around here that could do it...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read this thread the other day at work, but im unable to see the pics there. Now that Ive seen it on my own computer, that gun looks awesome! Does anyone have any idea about how much it costs to have a barrel fluted? and is there anyone you guys would recommend in the OKC area? I actually live near Lawton, but I dont know of anyone around here that could do it...

Steve Baldwin is in Jones, OK (google "Mechanical Accuracy Jones, OK") did all the gunsmithing on both of my Remington 700s. He can blueprint an action, install a barrel (order a blank, cut it to any length, flute, crown, thread, etc...).

Give him a call - I can't remember what he charged for fluting, but he knew exactly how much weight each flute removed from the gun.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the refridgerated coolant that I use, I charge $225 to flute a barrel...

I flute barrels the first Saturday of every month...

Here is another rifle I built and fluted the barrel on...
ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_001_3.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_024.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_014.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_017_4.jpg

ai193.photobucket.com_albums_z132_HonkerHunter_photos_019.jpg

Yeah, I also install Tactical Bolt Knobs...

And the muzzle brake shown above, YES, it is screwed onto the barrel....

D&T

Latest posts

Top Bottom