1,000 yd. Deer / Coyote Rifle...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, I have to ask a dumb question. How does removing metal, (fluting) from a barrel make it stiffer?

Removing metal from a barrel does not make it stonger but a 1" diameter barrel fluted to weigh as much as a 3/4" diameter barrel is stronger than a non-fluted 3/4" barrel and weighs the same. There is a huge thread/ pissing match on the snipershide about fluting (those guys turn everything into a pissing match). Fluting increases surcface area to dissipate heat faster but there is another point of debate about how much of a difference it makes, air to steel cooling is not that efficient. The last thing to remember is be careful who/how your barrel is fluted, if not done correctly it can induce stresses into the steel that will negatively affect the barrels harmonics. YMMV and someone will be along shortly with a differing argument that is equally persuasive so do ALOT of research on the subject before you spend your hard earned pennies on fluting.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Removing metal from a barrel does not make it stonger but a 1" diameter barrel fluted to weigh as much as a 3/4" diameter barrel is stronger than a non-fluted 3/4" barrel and weighs the same.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear. The above is correct and is probably how I should have worded it in the first place.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This gun has a 1-10" twist rate..

I did not build this gun around any of the high B.C. bullets because I do not use them for shooting deer...

The bullet used for the coyote and most deer is Sierra's 100 gr. B.T. - S.P....

I use refrigerated coolant when I flute a barrel - 28 degrees. This keeps both the barrel and cutter from heating up and does in fact reduce stress from the machining process. I don't know of anyone else that does this....

D&T

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So,is the 243 W-E more efficient than the 243 AI, or just a new "twist" on the 6mm caliber? What are teh differences in the W-E vs AI?

Did you blue print your own action?

I have an old Mauser that I had re-tubed with an Adams & Bennet in 1x9". It really seems to like the Berger 95gn VLD-H bullets. Ever thought about giving those a whirl? Since you are set up for single shot, seating for magazine length should not matter.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use refrigerated coolant when I flute a barrel - 28 degrees. This keeps both the barrel and cutter from heating up and does in fact reduce stress from the machining process. I don't know of anyone else that does this....

D&T

That is some clever thinking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom