1,300HP Mercury Comet brake failure crash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Interesting to see how he breaks down all the warning signs that took place before the crash. It’s a good reminder that not everyone maintains or pays attention to their equipment.

Yeah but its kind of retarded to only have a lap belt in something with that much power, or anything for that matter.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I almost got a 64 Comet, those are good looking cars in 64.
No mention of the single guy in the minivan.
But research showed only minor injuries to him and he was alone in the minivan.

I have driven crappy cars but I made sure the brakes would stop the car and I did not have to ride them.

I did have my 57 break a new brake spring on the 4 wheel drum setup.
Single line master cylinder.
Zero Brakes.
No crash though but next day I was rebraking it with dual line master cylinder and later ordered front disc brakes.

The issue here is not old stuff it is riding the brakes too long and probably boiled the fluid and then NO BRAKES!
I did see and hear he tried to stick it in park. You could hear the parking pawl clicking.
Sometimes you can hit reverse from drive and it will lock up the rear tires.
Going for park just clicks a lot.

Bummer deal, things happen.

Major cringe on that one.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe in having all the safety equipment you can get. In my little Fiat 500 Sport I have custom 5-point harnesses, a 4-point roll bar, and a fire extinguisher that I can reach from the driver's seat. I've thought about adding the front points to make it a full roll cage, a fuel cell, and an automatic fire suppressor system. It may sound like over kill but, in some of the meets I've driven in we have hit speeds of up to 110 mph. It ain't much car around you for protection in stock form.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I almost got a 64 Comet, those are good looking cars in 64.
No mention of the single guy in the minivan.
But research showed only minor injuries to him and he was alone in the minivan.

I have driven crappy cars but I made sure the brakes would stop the car and I did not have to ride them.

I did have my 57 break a new brake spring on the 4 wheel drum setup.
Single line master cylinder.
Zero Brakes.
No crash though but next day I was rebraking it with dual line master cylinder and later ordered front disc brakes.

The issue here is not old stuff it is riding the brakes too long and probably boiled the fluid and then NO BRAKES!
I did see and hear he tried to stick it in park. You could hear the parking pawl clicking.
Sometimes you can hit reverse from drive and it will lock up the rear tires.
Going for park just clicks a lot.

Bummer deal, things happen.

Major cringe on that one.
I up graded the brakes in my Fiat to the bigger Abarth brakes, stainless flexible brakes lines, a MPX master cylinder brace, and Hawk 5.0 pads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom