1-4 Optic Recomendation AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to a trade I am about to make with another member, my AR will finally be very close to done. Only think I'll need is buffer tube assembly which I'll probably grab from spikes or BCM. I am planning on picking up a M4 style red dot through the Primary Arms groupbuy but will mainly use it for plinking and 22lr fun.

I built this rifle with the intentions of getting a 1-4 style optic and was wondering what you guys use? I always read on the AR boards how other scopes are better than an ACOG for considerably less. If I remember correctly there was a member here (thinking glocktogo) who talked about the Bushnell Elite being quite good. I'd really like something with a pretty true 1 power so I can leave it on the rifle 24/7, regardless of it's use. This is my primary rifle so I wouldn't be comfortable using the PA for home defense even though that could be an option for the time being.

I was just curious what you guys were using or maybe have heard good reviews on. I know this question could be asked on the AR boards but I respect the opinions of the people here a lot more and know you guys won't give me typical "ACOG or nothing" responses.

Edit- Just realized I spelled Recommendation wrong

mavrick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it really comes down to your budget if the sky is the limit the SB short dot 1-8x will be out soon, the Vortex Razor 1-4 or the premier heartige 1.1-8. But on a more cost effective level the DMS-1 by millet is great but its a little on the heavy side I used one for a while. I would like to try the new Falcon 1.5-5 and the Vortex PST.

Dustin

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry I meant to mention that. Since I will already be able to shoot I'm not planning to pick optics solely on price. With my current schedule I don't really have time for training or competitions so it doesn't have to be the best thing on the market. With that said I don't want to spend 300-400 on something medicore if a couple hundred more dollars will get me something noticeably better.

I had forgotten about the millet and the vortex. I haven't heard of the others you listed but will definitely give them a look. Thanks for the response

nobuttbrian

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the millet. for me it's one of the best on the market,Bonus to using it is if the battery does go out, then you can still use the scope, just w/o the red highlight.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, the Nikon m223 is pretty good if you don't need an illuminated reticle. If you want a dot, check out the Aimpoint P.RO. It is around $400 with a mount included and good if you aren't wanting magnification.

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've honestly never given it much thought but maybe a red dot and magnifier would be an option as well. I would prefer to have one do-it-all type of unit but like red dot's for close quarters. I am thinking that if I get an optic that's capable of 1 power I will have the best of both worlds (know that most scopes that say 1-blank don't really get down to a true 1).

Sheeve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Burris tac30 on sale at midway for $300 is the best scope for the money. They are really nice and pretty inexpensive. They do sell out quickly though.

+2 I have owned both the tac 30 and the Millet, There is no comparison in quality and function for the 100 dollar difference in price. The eye position is more forgiving in the Burris, Better glass clarity, brighter illumination BDC reticle, better electronic features, (turns itself off after a few hours to keep from running down batteries), less "fish eye" effect at close range on 1x. All those are off the top of my head. The Burris is the sweet spot right now in that style of scope, I don't think you do better until you step up to the SS 1x4 or the Trijicon offering, and both of these have there shortcomings as well and are double the price. Oh, and Burris has a Forever Warranty. If you should have problems.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the Burris tac30 reticle illuminated only? or can illumination be off and still have fine line reticle in the glass in bright daylight?

Sheeve

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://swfa.com/Burris-1-4x24-Fullfield-TAC-30-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48171.aspx

There is a link to the reticle pic. When the illumination is off it appears black. To specify the illumination is pretty bright, not Aimpoint or Trijicon Bright, but pretty good for a 1x4 battery powered scope compared to the others on the market. If you are in bright sunlight with illumination on, and looking at a something like a white wall or something the reticle washes out to black, so it is visible no matter what, it just might not jump out the way a glowing red dot would.

Latest posts

Top Bottom