10/22 stock project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well guys the grey isn't working out so well I'm not getting the color I want with it. I'm into going with red. I'm going to bleach the wood as one side is lighter then the other side.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
what if you used ebony stain and maybe add a little of the gray as needed. sometimes the gray stains can be real thin with not much actual color to them.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was aiming for something like this

148-gray-laminated-stock.jpg

But now I think bright red is what ongoing to do. I also think I could have achieved the grey I wanted if I soaked the stock in dye, but wood soaking in water is a little dicey.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The laminated sheets are dyed before being bonded together. Just trying to dye the stock would have likely ended up looking like weathered driftwood. I think the red will look great. Are you going to use a red dye or paint and clear coat?

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like you are set to go! I haven't used Tru-Oil in a long time as I mostly mess with milsurps that require old school techniques and newer items that I can Cerakote. Post pics when you are done.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was aiming for something like this

148-gray-laminated-stock.jpg

But now I think bright red is what ongoing to do. I also think I could have achieved the grey I wanted if I soaked the stock in dye, but wood soaking in water is a little dicey.

I was wanting that look too, but it's hard to match what they do with laminated stocks on a solid piece of wood. My ebony ended up like this.

Before Tru-oil
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_02_21_bdcd26101059c193157a0e9b7eb3e6da.jpg

After
tapatalk.imageshack.com_v2_15_02_21_a81485de9ad2a85c4cf2a6a57535f2e7.jpg

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jbrentd, that is a little too brown for what I was looking for but it looks really good on an sks.

I just got done with the red, it's slightly darker then what I wanted but I'll hit it with steel wool before the tru oil and that will lighten it up some.

Here is how I dyed it.
•3/4 cup water that was microwaved for 2 min.
•1/4 alcohol poured into the hot water.
•1/4 cup scarlet red rit dye poured into the water alcohol mix.
I poured the dye into a spray bottle and sprayed it onto the stock to apply.
I borrowed the wife's hair dryer to force dry it for a picture.

Latest posts

Top Bottom