10/22 stock project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
thanks Brad, It wasn't my original vision but they never turn out exactly as you planned!
two thumbs up for Brads's skills!

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Little update: I worked on the hand rest, rounded out the nose of it and sanded it, it's ready for staining. I'm gonna stain the wood grey (think the pepper laminate) with about 10 coats of tru oil (I may need to wait for it to warm up).

I'd highly recommend tru oil, it sets up hard and clear... but you're gonna need more than 10 coats. The real trick is building up three or four initial coats before knocking down the high spots with steel wool. Do it lightly after each coat after that, pretty soon you'll have a 'smooth-as-glass' finish. Last stock I finished took about 40 light coats (one finger application) Turned out looking like ultra-fancy HD-nylon.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Darren that's a negative, this is a garage project and it's cold.

40 coats that's dedication, the purple stock I did I used 10 or 12 and it came out pretty nice in my opinion. I'll just have to keep adding u till I'm happy.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really like what you've done. And I think the grey stain is a good idea. I recently refinished an SKS using Minwax ebony.

40 coats of truoil...that's dedication. But I bet looks great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom