10.4x38mmR aka 41 Swiss loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Josh am I way off here? According to COTW that cartridge and rifle were discontinued in 1889 making your rifle designed for use with black powder and not modern smokeless powders. Loading BP isn’t really any more difficult than anything else. Stuff in enough FF powder to get you a little, say maybe 1/16” of compression, drop in an over-powder card and top it off with a cast bullet. Problem comes if you’re buying cast bullets and not casting your own. If buying them they’ll most certainly have a petroleum based lube which will need to be removed and replaced with a BP lube.
Wish I could be more help but there’s nothing on the subject in any of my manuals.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read it is a rim fire and needs converted and there is info out there for that.
Lots of info to be found on loads also.
Discontinued powders of course .

Josh G

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
@Firpo No, you're not off. It has been out of service for a long while and was designed for black. I may load up some black cause like you said, it's not hard at all and the puff of smoke just does something for a fellow. However, mainly wanting to go smokeless. As long as it stays within black powder pressures, it won't hurt the rifle at all. Remington/UMC was the last to load it in the states, I believe, in the 30's and used smokeless.

Josh G

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
@swampratt Correct. I'm little nervous to convert but it's only a hole and from what I've read the bolts are a softer steel so easy to drill. Tiny drills always make me nervous for some reason. Not as bad as #1 taps though.

I found lots of guys using 2400 and unique but it's out of stock at midway 😥. Did read a post of a guy using imr 3031 with good results.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used Blue Dot and Red Dot in reduced rifle loads quite often.
I read one guy used Red Dot for his first firings in his 41 Swiss just to see if the bullets would go down range.

I have loaded 11.5gr of Red Dot in 30-06 170gr cast 1400 fps and a tiny .3cc scoop in .308 for my 100gr 664 fps back yard critter killing load.

I use Red Dot for my 45 colt and 357 magnum to fire lap the barrels.
Just enough powder to get the bullet to exit the barrel.

In fact so little powder that I shoot into a roll of carpet.
Carpet rolled up and shoot on top of it, the bullet hits the carpet and bounces up about 4".
Muzzle facing down of course so the powder is not even near the primer.

I love Red Dot powder and hope I never run out of it.
Bullseye will do the same but a bit dirtier and must use a little more to get the bullet to exit the barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom