100 yard 5-shot challenge / database

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drag it out to F-Class this Saturday at OKCGC!!!

Way too early to compete with the combination yet. I need a little more time with the new scope...that and we have an ultrasound for our first child this weekend and I rather enjoy breathing so I better not miss that.

Here she is!

Here she is!

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is my two 100 yard submissions. Same rifle for both groups about an hour apart. I plinked with the buckmark and garand between them. Not a match grade rifle or match grade accuracy but for a 95ish year old rifle thats been sporterized I'm happy. This is my main hunting rifle generally.

Rifle- Remington built M1917 Enfield, tasteful bubba rifle, GI barrel cut to 22" I think, ears cut off and drilled and tapped, after market walnut stock, and factory GI 2 stage trigger thats nice, squishy, creepy, unpredictable, and a little on the heavy side.

Scope-Redfield revolution 3-9x40mm

Rest- cheap bipod in the front and sandbag(s) in the rear on the new shooting benchs at lexington.

The group below was shot after I took one offhand shot at the berm as the barrel had just been cleaned night before I went to the range.

Ammo- Surplus Greek HPX M2 Ball FMJ (early 1970s vintage)

I measured widest point (to best of my ability) with caliper and subtracted a bullet width and came up with 0.980" center to center. This was 6 shots I think also.
1917 group 1.jpg

The second group was a handload I have been toying with.

Ammo- Winchester case, 165gr speer BT-SP, 57grains of RL-19, winchester primer, loaded to book length in speer #12. Will likely be hunting with these with a bit more tweaking if I can get back to the range. If not may go as is or with the old standby, factory remington 180 cor-locts.

Again to the best of my ability I measured 1.200" center to center.
1917 group 2.jpg

In the end I am pretty happy with my rifle. Still need to work on the hand load I am working with some and possibly get something better to rest it on other than the cheapo walmart bipod. But now if I miss I can't blame the rifle

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I have been wanting to post in this thread for a long time. I finally remembered to bring everything I needed to the range. Not great, but OK for a day of multitasking and testing and a crappy hand-drawn target.

Frankenstein monster AR-15, but here's what matters: free-floated 20" DPMS heavy contour barrel w/ SJC compensator, mil-spec trigger group polished up and with JP springs. Scope is Vortex Viper PST 1-4X, set on 4X. Front rest was sand bag, rear rest was my left hand. Ammo is 55gr Hornady bulk FMJBT projectiles loaded to 2.200" OAL on top of 24.7gr of A2230, with Federal SRP.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be breaking the rules if so my bad.

Ruger American 308 using cheapest fedral 150 gr soft point I could get. Using a blackhawk bipod and bushnell trophy xlt 4-12x40. Pasters were from sight in 30 minutes prior as this was this rifles first trip to the range. 30 minutes was to work on other guns and allow a cool down/ attempt a "cold bore" shot. If this doesn't qualify as cold bore I apologize.

6 shot group 1.51

1488324_10153650502545717_1907660865_n.jpg

I wish I was more of a precision rifle shooter, had had some sand bags or a lead sled, and some match ammo. I believe that for a $285 rifle this thing will really be able to perform.

Also 1 of those 6 shots is from the sight in 30 min prior, but I didn't go paste it and forgot which one it was.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some days are diamonds, some days are coal! I fully intended to post a pic of 5 really big holes, really close together, but today my .45-70 was not cooperative. Not sure how I can go from 1/2 inch three shot groups to buckshot sized patterns, but I sure wasn't on today. Wind was pretty stiff, but quartering in to me. I can't blame it all on the wind.
I also took my Mini-14 to see how it would do. Got out to the land, opened the passenger side door to get targets and stapler, and the Mini fell out of the truck, muzzle down into the dirt.:mad: I cleaned it out with a twig and the stupid half of my brain said "Shoot it, it'll be OK." Then the RARELY USED smart half of my brain said, "What if there's still some sand in the barrel. Won't blow it up, but sure could scratch up the rifling." Smart half won today.
So, maybe next time!

Oh well, even a bad day shooting is better than a good day at work!

Latest posts

Top Bottom