$1200 to spend.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... Original is Armalite. True is supposedly Colt. That and $0.50 might get you a cup of coffee in 1992.

Meanwhile these days I think a significant portion of Colts sales are based solely on namesake. The AR and the 1911. Take that Rampant Pony off the side and half the chit they put out the door is crap. It will still sell for good money because of the name though.

I'm a Colt fan and have owned many of them, but what Johnny said is true. The newer Colt AR's aren't much different than most of the other brands. The older Colt AR's are a completely different story, they are smooth as hell.

Colt is still the top of the heap for name-brand recognition though and that does mean quite a bit if you're ever planning on selling it.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a cousin that bought a FDE Colt a little over a year ago. Was not impressed with the finish at all. Just did not seem HQ like the reputation Colt's carry. I think that they are living on past reputation and in reality they are no better than a Spikes, RRA, or M&P15.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a cousin that bought a FDE Colt a little over a year ago. Was not impressed with the finish at all. Just did not seem HQ like the reputation Colt's carry. I think that they are living on past reputation and in reality they are no better than a Spikes, RRA, or M&P15.

I feel that Spikes is a high quality weapon at a great price. For just quality, I would lean towards a company like BCM, until I see the price tag. I just don't think that a BCM is that much better than a Spikes. At least not $400+ better. Same goes for KAC and Noveske. They demand a premium for their products and I don't think it's justified.

I mean, $165 for a Noveske upper receiver!? I can get a spikes for half of that and it would work just as good. I've owned a rifle or part from just about every AR manufacturer out there and I just don't see the hype that some companies receive.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My point as usual is what makes the gun good to go for an application or not are the materials, manufacturing and testing. The name brand is only as good as the history behind the name, which can change on a dime if they drop the ball.
I completely agree with this.

I'm a Colt fan and have owned many of them, but what Johnny said is true. The newer Colt AR's aren't much different than most of the other brands. The older Colt AR's are a completely different story, they are smooth as hell.

Colt is still the top of the heap for name-brand recognition though and that does mean quite a bit if you're ever planning on selling it.

I like Colt too, but I would take a 40 year old colt over a new one any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I have never even held an older Colt Rifle. I would like too though. Most of my experience with them is based off the pistol.

As far as name recognition goes Neanderthal speaks the truth. Guys will trip over themselves to pay 1100 for a bone stock Colt vs paying 1100 for a BCM upper on a Noveske lower with a PSA LPK and a Jard Trigger. You can lay both of those on a table next to each other and the Colt will get picked up twice as many times as the other.

Madpap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me, I'd buy something from Fat Boy Tactical, those guys are the shiznit. Colt has made some strange decisions, but still a good choice.
$1200 bucks at FBT can get you a nice rifle and some almost free advice. I know when I mention FBT at Quiktrip I can get a cup of coffee for $2. They're that well known!

Latest posts

Top Bottom